Boil Kettle suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asidrane

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife wants to get me a new kettle for birthday. Currently I've been using a 3 gallon stock pot my dad had. I would like to get something large enough for 10 gallon batches, be able to be used as a lauter ton with a false bottom and have a built in valve. It would be great to keep the cost around $250. What does everyone recommend?

asidrane said:
That does sound cool, however, my wife isn't exactly the DIY kind of gal. What would be a more turnkey solution? Thanks.

Not to be a smartsss but Can you use a drill ?

many vendors online have polarware pots in that price range, ebay and amazon do too.

Golddiggie said:
All the extra hardware, including tools to drill the SS pot, will put it over the $250 mark...

Better to get a keggle made up to fit your thoughts. Or at least get it mostly there knowing what it will take to complete it.

I started suggesting a keggle. Then everything went crazy.

I think you need a 20 gallon pot to do 10 gallon batches with out worry of boil overs. I am just speaking from personally experience here. 14 gallons of wort in a 15 gallon keggle = hot sticky mess.

-=Jason=-

Do you have a turkey fryer to use the keggle on? if not then you may want to look into a nice turkey fryer and kettle combo. If you have a burner/fryer then...

+1 Keggle

http://www.bargainfittings.com/ is a vendor here. I recommend them and they carry weldless bulkhead kits. You will want a side pick up tube as well. I did mine and if I can do it you can to...

+2 Keggle

Buy the keg for $30 and the fittings you want from bargainfittings.com, and bring all the metal and a pic of the finished keg to a GOOD welding shop, and you will be very pleased when it comes back - they're smart dudes, mine is a thing of beauty :)

paid 60 bucks for a 1/4" walled aluminum 15 gal pot...throw a couple weldless fitting on there and your 50% cheaper than most keggles....and no...aluminum is not going to kill you.

$60...aluminum...20 for weldless ball valve kit...still less than half the price of the penrose.

Back