I am not new to brewing, but now my buddy is!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
So I finally got a friend of mine to brew beer. His father brewed beer and made wine in the past, but he never took an interest in it. This past labor day, SWMBO and I joined Ray (my buddy) and his wife on a motorcycle ride up to Slippery Rock, PA. We indulged in several of the local brews created by North County Brewing and he loved it all. We talked about my homebrewing experiences and the equipment I had and I suggested he come up and do an extract brew he could call his own. Well he did so this past Tuesday evening and we brewed up a DFH 60 Minute Clone Extract.

I think that I should have followed the typical extract process of steeping and brewing in a small pot then adding water to top up, but I think full boils are a better method in the end, so we did a full boil outside. He arrived and we began the process by endulging in one of my homebrews (California Pilsner). I had him steep some dextrine malt for 30 minutes and drain it into my 10 gallon brew pot, then we added 5 gallons of filtered water to the pot and got it close to but not boiling. We then added a portion of the DME (3lbs.) to the pot and brought this up to a boil. We added the initial hops (warrior) and watched the pot until we hit the 45 minute mark. We then added another 2.5lbs. of DME (being careful not to allow a boil over) and continued the boil until the 30 minute mark. At this time we added the remaining 2.5lbs. of DME and some Amarillo hops to the pot and stirred and watched until the 15 minute mark when we added whirloc and the Simcoe hops. At flame out, I connected my wort chiller and we cooled down the wort to 75F. whirl pooled and transfered to the primary and added some yeast nutrient. The S.G. of the wort came in at 1.072 after adding a bit of top up water to reach the final volume of 5.25 gallons. SafAle-05 yeast was pitched (dry) into the wort after we aerated well. The primary was covered and the airlock attached.

Then we sat back and had a few more homebrews. The beer is churning away nicely and airllock activity has diminished considerably. I will check the S.G. tonight to see the progress so far. He will return to dry hop with Warrior and Simcoe when the beer has reached the right level.

I have lots of equipment which I will be giving to him so he can continue his brewing experience at home on his own. He needs to invest in a few important items on his own, but I also will be setting him up with a cornie keg, regulator, tank (5lb.) and the gas in/out connections with hoses. He will be installing a tap faucet on his basement refridgerator (yes, I am giving him the faucet) so he can enjoy his first homebrew in the comfort of his home until he acquire all these things on his own.

I really enjoyed the opportunity to introduce a friend to homebrewing and look forward to making many more beers with him and possibly several other friends I am trying to recruit.

I am wondering though if I went to far to fast. With all the things I have helped him with and provided, he may feel that making beer at home is Easy and can be Fun. without a lot of hard work and investment needed.

By the way, clean up the next morning took me about 1 1/2 hours since we went right to drinking homebrew instead of cleaning up.

Salute! :mug:

sounds like you had a good time. ive got a couple neighbors who started doing extract brewing recently. im hoping to get them over for an all grain brew day.. i get tired of brewing by myself. :D

i was born and raised in titusville..

I think it's more important to emphasize the ease of the process and the quality of the product. He'll learn the downside on his own, later...

"It wasn't this hard when bmckee and I did it..."

It's like dancing with the instructor -- you made it easy for him, gave him confidence, showed him what could be done. When he has to do it on his own it will be awkward and difficult, but he will already know that it isn't *always* that way.

You did him a great favor, but I would mention what the equipment would have cost if he had to buy it instead of received it as a gift. If he thinks it's just free junk, he won't appreciate that, but if you can somehow communicate the value of your gifts without seeming like you want for gratitude, that would be a help, I believe. ;)

Congrats on addicting a buddy!

You did him a great favor, but I would mention what the equipment would have cost if he had to buy it instead of received it as a gift. If he thinks it's just free junk, he won't appreciate that, but if you can somehow communicate the value of your gifts without seeming like you want for gratitude, that would be a help, I believe. ;)

Congrats on addicting a buddy!

He is going to check with his father to see if he retained any of his old equipment. If so, Ray will be way ahead of the game. I really don't mind loaning the equipment to him, if it results in him becoming a fellow brewer. The kegging equipment is actually the stuff I loaned, the rest he can keep. Ray lives just down the road, so it will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few months.

I tried to warn him about the obsession that comes with home brewing. I have a feeling it will not matter (he really loves beer).

Oh, as long as it's a loan and not a gift... I get it now. :)

I would give away fermenters and stuff like that, but a keg setup is pretty valuable. I'd give that to my brother, maybe -- but not to a buddy.

Originally from around there, any good homebrew shops in town? I never noticed any.

There are three which are close to me. South Hills Brewing Supply in GreenTree, Monroeville and on Babcock Blvd. in the North Hills. I use the shop in GreenTree. They just expanded and have great service and supplies.

Latest posts

Back