Blackberry Mead (Melomel)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WarrantedFED said:
I just made a batch of this using a half flat (about 3-4 lbs) of great big black berries and about 4.5 lbs of huckleberries. All were mashed up pretty well and added to the boil for about 5 minutes.

I followed another recipe for mead that calls for 1 tsp of citric acid and 1 tsp of pectic enzyme. I figured the former would be okay to add and the latter would only help the yeast.

I plan on leaving the brew in the primary for about a month then transferring to a secondary onto an additional half flat of pasteurized and mashed black berries.

I also want it to be extra spritzy so I will be adding a little more than a cup of honey for priming when I decide to bottle.

Overkill? I don't know, but it should be quite good.

How long is too long for the brew to sit on the fruit in primary and secondary?

Thanks all,

-Will

I just ended up with 5.5 lbs of huckleberries from this year's venture through the high elevations of NE Washington. I will make this again, adding 2.5 lbs of big bountiful blackberries. I will only use 9 lbs of fireweed honey this time. When I add the berries this time I will purée with Woodinville Whiskey brand Peabody Vodka via the Vitamix.

And lesson learned, didn't want to make it too sweet so that it wouldn't carb up at bottling.

Curious. Has anyone used blackberry honey in making a blackberry melomel?

One of my local sources has 15 lbs of blackberry honey. I'd like to put it to use making a melomel.

Trying out this recipe. Make sure you have headroom in your secondary when transferring the mead onto the crushed berries otherwise you will have a volcano of berries. I would recommend using a bucket as your secondary rather than a carboy for ease of getting the berries into it rather than through a 1" hole. PRO tips haha.

Back