Efficiency problems.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptune

Reaction score
My grain bill (5 gal):

11 lbs 2 row
1 lb flaked wheat
0.25 lb cyrstal 10
0.25 lb crystal 40

I use BIAB no sparge. Started with 8 gallons and mashed for 60 minutes (152F). I lost 1 gallon to absorption so I started with 7 gallon pre-boil and lost another gallon or so on the boil. I no chlled overnight and left some of the sludge behind in the brewpot and ended up with just about 5 gallons on the nose.

My OG going into the fermenter was 1.056. According to beersmith (assuming I'm using the software correctly, just started playing with it) my OG should have been 1.065. It looks like it's telling me that I've got 61.9% efficiency. I didn't think to check my pre boil gravity. Is that important information (if so, why)?

This is very poor for BIAB isn't it? Any suggestions?

Yeah, that's pretty low. Was the grain adequately crushed? If so, then it is either a pH or volume issue.

The preboil gravity is important. If your mash efficiency is high, you can add more water. If it's low, add dme.

Your number s are correct.

~62% efficiency

There are a number of simple things you can do right off the bat if you want to increase your efficiency and consistency in order to better target specific OG and volume in the fermentor.

• Crush finer
  • Squeeze the bag and/or employ a long gravity assisted drain to reduce grain absorption.
  • Mash thiner unless your already doing full volume mashes.

But that is not a bad start at all for all-grain. Not bad at all. Sounds like you'll have a tasty APA/IPA on your hands. Right about where I was with my first couple of attempts.

Some BIAB tips can be read here

To help with demystifying efficiency calculations you might find this thread useful.

If you decide to read the linked threads and have any questions let me know. Maybe they'll be of use, maybe not.

Thank you for the responses... I think I'll start by having my lhbs run it through the mill a second time for a finer crush. I mentioned this to him before and he looked at me like I had three heads. I'll insist on it next time. I'm ok with my absorption rate, I squeeze it quite a bit and let it sit in the basket for a while. Losing a gallon here doesn't seem unreasonable.

I'm mashing full volume already... Would mashing longer help?

If I have to I'll just start with more grain to compensate, but I'd rather dial in my efficiency...

Mashing longer might help.

Better than a double milling is one fine milling. Get it as fine as they can do for you.

It is the 1 biggest factor in bumping your efficiency and consistency. All else being equal.

On the absorption if you can let it drain or squeeze it will net you less losses with no extra work.

0.05 gallons per pound is readily obtainable. Get this to a minimum and you will always have a very consistent predictable figure.

Otherwise a tiny extra cost of grain per batch. No biggie.

Best of luck

Last edited:
Gavin, I notice you have the cereal killer grain mill. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on that. Do you like it?

These three pieces of advice from Kai http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Efficiency boosted my efficiency. Ph should also be considered but these alone will be the greatest benefit IMHO.

Crush finer: "Note that the malt grain is about 1.8 mm (70 mil) thick. If it is crushed with a mill gap spacing of 1.0 - 1.5 mm (40 - 60 mil), which is the factory setting of many mills, it cannot be expected that there will be a sufficient separation between the endosperm and the husks and small enough grits that a single infusion mash is strong enough to reach all the starch. As a result many home brewers see a jump in [mash] efficiency when they start milling the grain through a tighter roller spacing or double crushing the grain." - Kia Troester

Mash thinner: "In the limit of attenuation experiments it was shown that a 5 l/kg (2.4 qt/lb) mash showed much better conversion efficiency than a 2.5 l/kg (1.2 qt/lb) mash. This is also supported by anecdotal experience from home brewers who found that thin mashes generally lead to better overall efficiency"- Kia Troester

Mash out: "Although mashing out or not is part of the chosen mash schedule its effect on efficiency should be discussed in more detail. Some brewers report a jump in efficiency when they perform a mash out. While this can be a result of improved lautering it is most likely the result of better conversion efficiency. If the enzymes in the mash were not able to fully convert the mash during the saccharification rest, a mash out can help the conversion efficiency by "super charging" the alpha amylase which works much faster at temperatures between 70 and 75C (158F to 167F)." - Kia Troester

Mashing longer might help

+1 on this

the guys over at biabrewer are big proponents of a 90 minute mash ~ and I am never in a hurry when I brew ~ so I baby the mash for 60 minutes and then go run an errand or do something around the house for 30 minutes or so

It helps me. YMMV

Gavin, I notice you have the cereal killer grain mill. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on that. Do you like it?

It does the job but when I firs got it the hopper wasn't seated right (I didn't know any better) and the slave roller wasn't turning. Both these things was easily fixed though and after cleaning it and lubing the bushings it was night and day.

I use it at the finest setting with a regular corded drill. No problems really.

For $99 it will serve you well. Would I buy it again? Probably not after seeing the difference with a sturdier mill. Of course those sturdier ones are more expensive. For $99 you will get a mill that will serve you well and do what you need it to. Definitely worth the money.

Just a little fine tuning needed on mine was needed to get it to perform well.

As far as crushed grain goes, I have my LHBS crush it before I pick my supplies up. If I want to increase my efficiency, could I go over the grain with a rolling pin to crush it more finely? I don't have a grain mill and I'm wondering if a rolling pin would be a good interim solution.

As far as crushed grain goes, I have my LHBS crush it before I pick my supplies up. If I want to increase my efficiency, could I go over the grain with a rolling pin to crush it more finely? I don't have a grain mill and I'm wondering if a rolling pin would be a good interim solution.

Ha! I tried the rolling pin thing once when I didn't have access to a mill. It does NOT work! And very messy too.

I bought a Corona hand crank mill off craigslist for $15. Great investment, very sturdy, very easy to use. Takes a bit to do it all by hand, but not difficult. I'll put up a pic on my mill system when I get a chance.

Buy a cereal killer mill,Buy grain in bulk,mill your own grain.The money youll save buying in bulk will pay for itself..and its convenient and fun.Probably my most enjoyable part of my brew day.Makes ya feel like a Pilgram:cross:

Back