Want to make some sour beer? Join my wine-barrel project in the Portland area.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can have a gallon of my space, Brewbien. I filled out the form for a 5.5G batch, which will amount to 5G total after trub loss. Vegan, how long are we planning on aging? I want to mark my calendar so I can brew and ferment a replacement batch after the initial casking. Thanks!

Not sure on the aging, maybe until October 2014? Depends on tasting, I'm going to install a SS nail hole towards the bottom so we can pull tasters to check it.

So I'll finish with about 5.5 gallons... I entered myself on the spread but I have my own virtual bag of organic german pils etc. When is secondary dump day? Hopefully I can make the meet up for that.

Hops should be at whatever time it takes to get around 10 ibu. Were dumping on the 28th I think. If you can make it you can drip off with me before hand.

Okay... even with veganbrewer it looks like we don't really have enough people today to do a bulk grain-buy (electric is pulling from his virtual pilsner). That said, I'm going to place my individual order on brewbrother's website.

I still plan to show up at or around 1pm.

Veganbrewer, where are you coming from? I don't mind giving you a lift if you're not too far out of the way. PM me your address if you're interested.

EDIT: Well... I need to head out now. Sorry it didn't work out veganbrewer.

So we're doing individual purchase now? I don't mind, just want to clarify.

We didn't get up to the 1-bag quantity on the spreadsheet, so I assume not enough people are attending today to split up a bag. Therefore, yes, we're doing individual purchases; at least on the grain and yeast (and I think hops, but am less certain of that).

Speaking of today, I'll be wearing a black t-shirt with a blue puzzle piece on it.

Sorry I couldn't make it, forgot to tell the wife I had plans and she got the car ahead of me before I woke up (late night). I guess I'll see you all at the dump, can't miss that one ;)

daevidallen and I met at Brew Brothers... but we didn't see anyone else while we were there.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, exactly when and where are we meeting for dump day?

Also, are we still able to account for all the volume needed? I wonder if we lost some participants...

29th for dump day. You can drop off at my house beforehand if you're going to be out of town. It does appear we are short a 5 or 10 gallon batch. Some guys are involved just didn't go on the spreadsheet.

Great, we're probably going to need 70 gallons total, so I'd definitely have him prepared to at least do 10.

Varied. I'm brewing on Saturday the 15th, so I'll have 2 weeks. We're going to want to siphon some yeast into the barrel with the beer, so I'm not too concerned with how long it's been brewed for as long as we're all in this two-three week window.

I brewed today! Efficiency came in higher than expected with 1.054 OG

If it helps anyone, here's the exact recipe I used: co-op lambic

And we're off and running. Really looking forward to Brewing and meeting up with everyone at the end of the month and hhearing what everyone is planning on doing with their beer once its ready.

And we're off and running. Really looking forward to Brewing and meeting up with everyone at the end of the month and hhearing what everyone is planning on doing with their beer once its ready.

As soon as this IPA in my fermentation chamber is done, I'll get to brewing mine.

Just to make sure I am clear:

• We brew between now and say the 15th
  • Pitch Roeselare on our brew day
  • 'Dump' into the barrel on the 28th

Just want to make sure I have this down correctly.

Perfect, thanks.
Do you want to cover 5 of my 10 gallons brewbien?

I only have a 5 gallon setup. Maybe someone with a larger setup could pick up 5 of your gallons or if you know someone you know brews, they could get in. The 5 I'm currently brewing will be needed to top up the barrel as water evaporates out.

I only have a 5 gallon setup. Maybe someone with a larger setup could pick up 5 of your gallons or if you know someone you know brews, they could get in. The 5 I'm currently brewing will be needed to top up the barrel as water evaporates out.
ok, thought you were looking for space for your 5 gallons.

Anyone else want to put in 5 gallons that is not already in?

Okay, let me get this straight. These people are brewing ~60 gallons to fill the barrel:
theveganbrewer- 10 gallons
ElectricAlphaAcidTest- 6-12 gallons
theveganbrewer's neighbor- 10 gallons
Ibrewaletx- 10 gallons
daevidallen- 10 gallons
iscribble- 5 gallons
jhalloran- 6 gallons

The other 10 gallons which will come from brewbien and my friend is for topping up between now and October 2014 so it can be brewed whenever its needed?

I'm not sure on the angel share, some people I've talked to said you need to have it on hand fairly soon, especially if its hot out. It'd be nice to have it aging if we can. If you want, I can take my 5 gallons from me and 5 from my neighbor and use them as angel share, then I can manage them on my own at my house, and you guys can get the other 10 going right away on the 29th. If that's OK with you guys, go ahead and brew asap.

I'm not sure on the angel share, some people I've talked to said you need to have it on hand fairly soon, especially if its hot out. It'd be nice to have it aging if we can. If you want, I can take my 5 gallons from me and 5 from my neighbor and use them as angel share, then I can manage them on my own at my house, and you guys can get the other 10 going right away on the 29th. If that's OK with you guys, go ahead and brew asap.

This was my thought as well.

Just picked up everything for my 10 gallons at FH Steinbart- had to finish off my sour mash Berliner to free up my mash tun.
They had aged hops there- aged "in house", a bit surprised.
Heating up strike water now- I have to stay up late to get on to my night shift schedule, might as well brew up some Lambic!

Happy Brewing everyone

I almost got all my ingredients but it seems there's been a run on Roeselare and everyone is sold out. Will do 15 gallons tmrw and the last 5 on Wednesday when Roeselare is back in stock.

I brewed my '10' gallons a few days ago, it was my first 10 gallon batch and was pure amateur hour! Well, I ended up with about 8 gallons when all was said and done-if I wasn't working thru Wednesday and then flying to Waco TX (sons orientation at Baylor) I would brew another batch to make up + some angel share. I'm still more than happy to brew up some angel share if it is needed a few weeks or months into the project.

With that said, I will PM theveganbrewer to see about dropping off my 8 gallons early as we will be in Lincoln City June 27-July 2 for a family vacation and will miss the 'pitch' in the barrel day. I'm really disappointed I will not get to see & meet everyone on that day.

Since this is a long term project (thru Oct 14) & only a few met up for the group purchase & I know I'll miss the pitch day, is there any thoughts of meeting up somewhere occasionally to have a beer or two (brewpub/beer bar) &/or sample the barrel?

I brewed my '10' gallons a few days ago, it was my first 10 gallon batch and was pure amateur hour! Well, I ended up with about 8 gallons when all was said and done-if I wasn't working thru Wednesday and then flying to Waco TX (sons orientation at Baylor) I would brew another batch to make up + some angel share. I'm still more than happy to brew up some angel share if it is needed a few weeks or months into the project.

With that said, I will PM theveganbrewer to see about dropping off my 8 gallons early as we will be in Lincoln City June 27-July 2 for a family vacation and will miss the 'pitch' in the barrel day. I'm really disappointed I will not get to see & meet everyone on that day.

Since this is a long term project (thru Oct 14) & only a few met up for the group purchase & I know I'll miss the pitch day, is there any thoughts of meeting up somewhere occasionally to have a beer or two (brewpub/beer bar) &/or sample the barrel?

We will never talk to anyone who misses pitch day and their beer will be left in used 2-liter coke bottles on my sunny back driveway for pickup :D

Kidding, your idea for meetups for tasting is good, maybe we can meet up every 3-6 months or so to check progress.

Back