BBQ Gas Controls for burners on a single tier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PantsOffBrewing

Reaction score
I've seen many posts on gas manifolds in brew stands and have been studying them trying to plan out my system. I'm planning on a single tier system and am thinking of getting 2 of the banjo style burners from agrisupply but here's my question:

Can I canabalize the plumbing from an old two burner bbq that I have waiting to go to the dump and hook it up to the gas burners on the brew stand? Seems like it might work, give me decent adjustability in a centralized control area and need only a couple modifications to get the gas to the burners.

Thoughts?

they are low pressure

There are numerous units of measurement for pressure. Since pressure is defined as a force per area, the United States commonly uses units of pounds per square inch (PSI), as well as pounds per square foot (PSF). In Europe and Japan, the metric system uses Kilograms per square centimeter (Kg/cm2 ).

Pressure can also be stated in terms of the height of a liquid column. If one pound of water were poured into a glass tube with an area of one square inch, the weight of the water on that area at the bottom of the glass tube is one pound, and the pressure is therefore one PSI. At 39° F, the water column would be 27.68 inches tall. One inch of water column is annotated as 1"WC.

If we replace the water with a heavier liquid, the pressure generated increases. For example, it only takes 2.036 inches of mercury to generate 1 PSI versus 27.68" water column because mercury is so heavy. 1 PSI is equal to 2.036"Hg.

In Europe the metric system is prevalent, so inches are replaced with millimeters. 25.4 mmHg is equal to 1"Hg.

Evangelista Torricelli did a lot of the early work in pressure measurement and invented the barometer. 1 mmHg has been renamed Torr in his honor. The Pascal is named after Blaise Pascal, another early mathematician who discovered that air pressure decreases with altitude and that fluid pressure is the same in all directions.

Other pressure units of measure are the Atmosphere and the Bar, which are both roughly equivalent to atmospheric pressure at sea level on a "standard" day.

Here is a list of the more common units of pressure measurement.

Units of Pressure Measurement
Referred to 1 PSI

1 PSI=27.68"WC (inches of water column)
1 PSI=2.036"Hg (inches of mercury)
1 PSI=51.715 mmHg or Torr
1 PSI=0.068947 Bar
1 PSI=0.06804 Atmospheres (Note that 1 Bar is not exactly 1 atmosphere)
1 PSI=6.8947 KiloPascals or KPa
1 PSI=0.0703 Kg/cm2
1 PSI=2.307 feet of water

here is a converter too

http://www.onlineconversion.com/pressure.htm

11 inch of water [4 °C] = 0.397 400 210 1 pound/square inch

Good information, and if this works out I'll name my first beer 'My 11 Inch Unit Stout'.

I imagine that should impress some people (with the obscure unit of measurement reference of course)

I compensate for everything, but that's neither here nor there. Has anyone tried this before or have a better idea of what is wrong with this plan? Why haven't I heard of anyone doing this before?

If your looking to run Banjo burners at full warp speed I think your BBQ valves will limit them to the point of low heat without modifying the orifices. I'm no expert but Banjos can be run with 30 psi regulators and BBQ's don't go that high.

I would say to keep your expectations low. Those controls are running on 11" as someone stated earlier. Thats only about 6 ounces of pressure. If the controls are built for 2 pounds, and you put 10 on them, then they will fail. Wait, I just remembered something...the orifice for the burner is in the control valve, so i dont think it is going to work.

You may be able to hack the BBQ controls and remove the orifice's which would essentially leave you with two control valves which may, or may not, be easy to hook up to the burners. IMO, the bottom line is that it will be more trouble than it's worth if you can get it to work at all. It would be much easier to simply hook it up using the commonly available ball valves and be done with it.

I doubt that the controls will fail under slightly higher pressure. The control valves are not regulators, they are simply valves. Valves with a gas orifice attached to one end which is typically inserted into a supply tube which will also have an air intake port. The air intake port is usually adjustable, but not easily. Would be better to stick with the orifice and air damper that is furnished with the burners. Not all of these BBQ controls are identical, so the above is somewhat of a generic description of how they are configured.

Thanks Catt22, I've been reading your well thought out suggestions for gas manifolds and will be following your prior suggestions with the banjo burners from agri-supply.

Thanks for your insight as well gasdude.

Back