Mr. Malty starter question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
When entering in calculations into mr malty for pitching rates at the top when your setting estimated OG, it asks date of manufacture or viability. I've heard viability should be set at about 96% since you're making a starter rather than entering the manufacture date. Then assuming you do it with this % rate you're given a # of liters required for the stater. Now assuming you're starting a 1.029 - 1.046 it gives a 1 L, starter reguardless. My question is then wouldn't it be over pitching at somewhere within this range if at 1.047 the pitching volume increases? I know most OG is 1.046 and above, but theoretically if you had a lower OG than 1.046 you'd it be over pitching by some amount, correct? Also how long are the starter times on Mr. Malty? I'd be using a stir plate so I'm guessing 24-36hr? Sorry to go on so long but last question. Is using foil better than a foam stopper in a flask for a stir plate?

I'm not sure I understand your first question completely, but I think it would be hard to overpitch with just a 1L starter (but I could be wrong). I've always put in the manufacturing date and let the calculator do its thing. As for timing, I let my starters go for 48 hours, then overnight in the fridge, then decant all but about 2 cups of slurry, then pitch. Foil works great.

Don't forget to select the stirplate option in the pulldown in the calculator (I didn't find that option for the longest time).

so then my follow up question to that statement is, you don't need to decant if you're going to pitch in 12-18 hr. with a stirplate correct?

You don't need to decant.....but many do because the starter is gonna taste yucky (no hops) and you don't want it messing with the taste profile of your beer. (Although that little of volume probably won't be noticable...). You don't have to put the starter in the fridge. Just turn the stir plate off hours before you start brewing...most of the yeast will settle...decant...swirl....pitch....

Latest posts

Back