pumpkin beer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevefromga2000

Reaction score
i know it's late to make a pumpkin beer, but i had intentions to make it a few weeks ago. then we had some family stuff and had to go out of town. anyways......my question is about using the pumpkin. i have read about different ways and times on when to put the pumpkin in, at least i think that is what it was talking about. i know to get a medium pumpkin, take all the guts out and cut it into pieces, then bake it on about 350 for around an hour. then i am supposed to pretty much skin the pieces and use the "meat" part for my brewing.

do i take those meaty pieces and put them into a mesh bag and cook them while i am making my beer? or am i supposed to put them into my fermenter bucket? if i use them while i make the wort, do i keep it in there the whole time while cooking?

as usual, any and all help is appreciated. thank you in advance

I put some during the boil , and the rest at flame out... But i used canned..I hear its easier to put in a bag if you want to take it out. I left mine in. Since i used 5 lbs. of canned, when I racked to secondary I ended up with 3 1/2 gallons out of my 5 1/2....forgot to compensate for that much trub...Realy do it any way you want all ways will work...mine was awsome also its never to late for a pumkin brew in my book.

Yes. Not too late. I used 2 cans of pumpkin in the mash and one during the last 15 minutes of the boil. Turned out amazing and delicious. Primary took about 2 weeks and about 4 days secondary. I used Bio Fine clear in secondary and kegged after the 4 days. Was drinking pumpkin beer in less than 3 weeks and it is goooood! Cheers.

Our recent pumpkin brew featured four cans of Libbys canned pumpkin that was baked with Molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Add to the boil at 60. I think canned would be easier than what you are suggesting.

P.S. If you're like us it is NEVER to late for Pumpkin beer! :mug:

I made some a few months ago and I used 120oz of canned pumpkin and I put in with 10 to go and brought back up to a boil. I left it in during fermentation (which ended up being over 6 weeks do some issues at home) i ended up with only about 3.5 gallons also so I think next time I'll add more top off water. It has been in the bottles for almost 3 weeks and tastes pretty good now. It's never too late for a pumpkin ale! Cheers!

Latest posts

Back