white ring in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie1980

Reaction score
hi im brewing a pilsner lager from a kit, its been in primary for 3 weeks ive bottled sunday and i gave them a quick check this morning and noticed a small white ring forming around the top of the bottle neck, to be honest it looks like v small bubbles, ive never had an effection so im a bit nervous, this time i did use coopers carb drops if this makes any difference. thanks

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

That looks fine to me. It looks like a carbonation ring from the yeast working on carbing your brew.

The "tell-tale ring" that occurs inside bottles from infection is more of a film that lines the bottle and/or top of the beer. Your bottles don't exhibit anything like that (from what I can see.)

How did it taste/smell at bottling?

Looks like gas bubbles. Your beer may gas off due to temp differential from bottling til now. Or just being disturbed.

If you end up with a permanent ring around the inside after a while, then you might want to start worrying. But even then, you might still have drinkable beer if you drink it soon enough.

its tasted fine and smelt good, all my other brews never show signs of carbing..... its only been two days..lol

Yeah, I've had rings form from bottle carbing and it's not a problem, the beer is fine. There is a ring that can form due to infection, but be wary of that. There are people out there, including on this forum, who will immediately tell you the ring in your bottle means you have an infection. That's not necessarily the case. You MAY have an infection, but, most likely, it's not an issue.

its tasted fine and smelt good, all my other brews never show signs of carbing..... its only been two days..lol

Then I bet it's fine. Of course, only time will tell, but at this point you have absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

Report back in 3 weeks and let us know how it turns out!

Even when you get the dreaded white ring, sometimes it just means you got a tiny krausen from fermenting the priming sugar and there's no fermentation.

I have brett beers with the ring and beers fermented with saccharomyces with the ring. I have one infected batch with the rings. One brett batch has a very thick ring. Good thing I put those in heavy belgian bottles.

I also have wild ales, brett beers and beers I know to be infected with lacto and none of them have the telltale ring.

What you have are just carbonation bubbles. Do not be afraid.

Latest posts

Back