Step a Starter or Go Whole Hog?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokolosh

Reaction score
I just picked up a stir plate on the cheap ($25) and made a starter with it - - 1pt H20 & 1/2 cup DME. This amount looks terribly small in a 1L flask. I was planning on stepping the starter another 2-3 times, but it kind of seems like a waste of time. Couldn't I just start with more wort and not worry about stepping?

What do you do?

I never step a starter. If I need a heap of yeast, I'll brew a small beer & pitch the big beer on the cake.

I never step a starter. If I need a heap of yeast, I'll brew a small beer & pitch the big beer on the cake.

I don't have the equipment to make a "small" beer. I only have a 1L flask for making a regular starter, and equipment for making 5 gallon batches. If I needed, say, a 2 or 3L starter, could I just use my 5 gallon primary for that? Or is there a minimum size needed to make the starter in that size of primary?

Latest posts

Back