How NOT to Buy Kitchen Knives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Reaction score
I'm doing a couple of guest pieces for the food website Leite's Culinaria. Click on LC Blog in the navigation header bar for Part 1 of So You Wanna Buy a Knife.

Shameless self promotion, I realize, but I'm having a lot of fun with these articles and thought y'all might enjoy them, too. Later in the month will be a longer, more serious how-to piece on basic knife skills.

Take care,
Chad

Nice write-up Chad.

I won't ever own a decent knife as long as there is a friggin dishwasher in the house.

I can't convince my family to save my life, that you can hand wash knives just as easily.

Nicely done. :) And lemme tell you, you're exactly right...I have a block of knives on my counter and I use two of them. Occasionally I'll use the shears.

I had the fortune of gaining a gourmet as a friend, and she's learnin' me. ;)

Get good knives, people!

I love it! It's a very nice write up. Now after those three cooking knives, what about steak knives?

mmmmmmmm, steak.

Very well written article. I must say, I'm guilty as charged... except mine aren't even in a fancy block, they're just laying in a drawer. DOH!

Guilty of the block here as well... though in my defense, the only relatively useless knife in the block is the fillet knife - besides that it's a chef knife, bread knife, two small paring knives, and half a dozen steak knives along the sides. No shears, no mango slicer, etc. Granted, all the knives are pretty cheap, but what can I say, I'm a college student - I'll buy a $100+ chef knife as soon as I have a real job ;)

Very useful article though, thanks - I will keep your advice in the back of my mind until I am ready to step up to real cutlery.

very good and well written piece on buying kitchen knives...we have a draw full, bought one at a time, with chef knives ranging from 8"-12" with the 10" most commonly used.

While the chef's and paring knife are best for kitchen use, butchering meat requires a different set including cleavers, boners and skinners. Kind of hard to skin or bone with a chef's knife.

For those on a budget, the carbon steel Old Hickory brand will hold a decent edge and some of the Sam's stores will sell NSF rated white plastic handled kitchen knives geared towards the commercial user, those are pretty decent.

Now just thinking what to make my lovely wife for breakfest, chocolate chip muffins? waffles?

Howard

You wrote a book on this topic, didn't you?

Real nice writeup. I *do* have a block, but if it mitigates any of my blame, it *was* a wedding present. You're absolutely right, though - the only knives I ever use are my chef's knife, paring knife (pretty rarely use that) and the bread knife. I'm assuming parts 2+ will get into things like what to look for in a knife, how to care for and sharpen a knife, etc?

I've never been able to get the site open for some reason-- it times out every time I try to connect.

However, I have a block of knives and use almost every one of them for something, including the cleaver (which I find makes a great pizza cutter).

And i dont' use the Chef's knife--- I removed that from the block and replaced it with a santuko.

*shrug*

Wow, thanks for the kind words, folks. I appreciate it. Part 2 of So You Wanna Buy a Knife is up at Leite's Culinaria.

Let's see if I can address some of the questions.
EvilTOJ said:
I love it! It's a very nice write up. Now after those three cooking knives, what about steak knives?

I like the Forschner Forged Professional series, but they seem to have just dramatically jumped in price. I got two sets of 4 for $89 each. Probably overkill for steak knives but I like Forschner/Victorinox's steel. The Fibrox handled ones would probably work just as well.

the_bird said:
You wrote a book on this topic, didn't you?

Real nice writeup. I *do* have a block, but if it mitigates any of my blame, it *was* a wedding present. You're absolutely right, though - the only knives I ever use are my chef's knife, paring knife (pretty rarely use that) and the bread knife. I'm assuming parts 2+ will get into things like what to look for in a knife, how to care for and sharpen a knife, etc?

I did write a book. "An Edge in the Kitchen" will hit the shelves early next month. There's even a section in there on how to customize a block set to give as a wedding present :D . These guest articles are part of the ramp up. Part 2 of the article deals with the warning signs that the knives you are looking at might not be the best available. If you are interested in care & sharpening, I wrote a 15,000 word tutorial on Knife Maintenance & Sharpening for the food site eGullet.org a couple of years ago. Parts of it are a little dated at this point but the basics are still solid. About 400,000 people have taken the online class so far, which always amazes me.

Chad

kornkob said:
However, I have a block of knives and use almost every one of them for something, including the cleaver (which I find makes a great pizza cutter).

A Chinese cleaver does make a great pizza cutter. I have a pro chef friend who uses a big ass cleaver for everything on the hot line, including using it not only as a pizza cutter but as a peel as well. He slides pizzas in and out of the oven with it.

Chad

Chad said:
A Chinese cleaver does make a great pizza cutter. I have a pro chef friend who uses a big ass cleaver for everything on the hot line, including using it not only as a pizza cutter but as a peel as well. He slides pizzas in and out of the oven with it.

Chad

I use it to slide it in and out as well--- makes it very easy to get the pizza out. I can't stand the 'round blade' style pizza cutters.

The one thing i really want in my kitchen if I ever can afford to make the kitchen HUGE is a full size, gas fired flat grill. I did some time on a line once upon a time and cooking on a flat grill makes so many things easy--- especially when cooking for large groups.

Knives in dishwashers is one thing. I've actually been able to convince people that it's bad for the wooden handles! One of my GFs snapped the tip off of one of my better knives using it to pry something open. That was one of the very few times I yelled at her. Still have the knife, but not the GF.

david_42 said:
Knives in dishwashers is one thing. I've actually been able to convince people that it's bad for the wooden handles! One of my GFs snapped the tip off of one of my better knives using it to pry something open. That was one of the very few times I yelled at her. Still have the knife, but not the GF.

Yeah--- that's annoying.

Like the time I caught an old roommate stirring paint with the handle of a socket wrench.

Nice article, Chad. I like the way you write.

In my knife drawer I have an 8" chef knife, 12" serrated slicer, 6" boning knife, and a paring knife. This is the combo I've used for years. I also have a steel and a stone for sharpening.

Up in the cupboard above the fridge I have at least 25 different knives I collected when I was cooking for a living but I never use any more. Most of them I didn't even use then.

Beerthoven said:
Nice article, Chad. I like the way you write.

In my knife drawer I have an 8" chef knife, 12" serrated slicer, 6" boning knife, and a paring knife. This is the combo I've used for years. I also have a steel and a stone for sharpening.

Up in the cupboard above the fridge I have at least 25 different knives I collected when I was cooking for a living but I never use any more. Most of them I didn't even use then.

Thanks! That's really kind. Writing is such a solitary activity that it's great to get some feedback.

Chad

olllllo said:
Well now we all know that your avatar has far too many knives!

Methinks this book might make a good Father's Day gift.

Ha! That was just a sampling for the photo shoot. At one point in the process I had 53 chef's knives (or gyutos, the Japanese equivalent). I'm down to more manageable numbers now but there are some I can't bear to get rid of whether I ever use them or not. The rest were donated to a regional food bank that runs a culinary training program to help people get back on their feet, learn some marketable jobs skills and get jobs in good kitchens.

And, yes, it would make a great Father's Day gift . . . or Groundhog Day, Arbor Day, Janet Leigh Appreciation Day, you name it!

Chad

OK, I have a confession to make....

My steak knives are serrated.

And they were bought at the dollar store, ten years ago.

And I paid a dollar for them.

For all four of them :eek:

I've never bothered to replace them - and they're the best zesters I've ever used. Cheapest metal possible, but sharp as hell. It's kind of like cutting a steak with BierMuncher's keggle. Someday, I will get REAL knives... but for now, they work.

My kitchen knives are OK; they're the typical, low- to mid-range Henckels, but DAMN, my steak knives are cheap... :D

Professionally I use these. Japanese knives are a step above anything I have ever owned. But you pay for that quality too.

Img433.jpg

Img362.jpg

5518.jpg

TakedaGyuto_horizontal_DSC_24169493.jpg

Very nice! The top two are from JapaneseChefsKnife.com. I recognize Koki Iwahara's photography and styling, but I'm not sure what series those are from.

For those on the fence about Japanese knives, JapaneseChefsKnife.com is absolutely wonderful. Koki is great to deal with and shipping from Japan is usually less than 7 days. Japan's EMS service is amazing. I've ordered stuff on a Sunday night and had it delivered to my doorstep in North Carolina by Wednesday morning . . . for $7. Yes, the website is a bit clunky, but these are genuinely good people selling world class knives. Give them a shot.

The bottom two are Takedas. The first is a Banno Bocho if I'm not mistaken. The second is a straight ahead gyuto. Looks like a 210mm or 240mm to me. Shosui Takeda is one of the best traditional Japanese knife makers working. He's let his quality slip a hair lately because he's become so popular among knife nuts and is struggling to keep up, but I think he's recovering. The rustic kuruouchi finish and somewhat variable fit and finish make Takedas a bit of a specialty item but his geometry is second to none. I have a 270mm Takeda gyuto in Aogami Super steel. It's ugly as a bowling shoe but will outcut nearly anything in the Western Hemisphere.

Very nice knives. It's cool to meet another enthusiast here.

Chad

Edited to add: I'm really surprised we don't know each other from some of the knife boards. People who buy Takedas or know to order from Koki tend to be be a highly specialized audience.

I have to say that I have always hated cheap serrated knives, but for a reason that most people don't even realize; they put the serration on one side of the blade. It works OK when you hold the knife in your right hand because the blade pulls opposite to the way your hand moves down, but when you're left-handed like I am, the knife starts cutting deep into whatever it is you're cutting. I have to work unnaturally to get it to move straight up and down through the food and it sucks.

Chad said:
Very nice! The top two are from JapaneseChefsKnife.com. but I'm not sure what series those are from.

The bottom two are Takedas. The first is a Banno Bocho if I'm not mistaken. The second is a straight ahead gyuto. Looks like a 210mm or 240mm to me.

Edited to add: I'm really surprised we don't know each other from some of the knife boards. People who buy Takedas or know to order from Koki tend to be be a highly specialized audience.

The top two are Fujiwara Kanefusa FKV series. The small Takeda is an Ajikiri Bocho and the Gyuto is a 240mm. It is amazing how much easier it is to work when you can use light, razor sharp knives.

I've been on the Knife forum a few times under the same screen name as here, but not for a long time. But they did lead me in the right direction as far as knife purchases went. They are definitely fanatic Japanese knife supporters. Especially the Takeda and Watanabe.

Holy cow. I went to this page and looked at the one with the abalone handle. I almost spent an entire paycheck in under 30 seconds! My hand was actually reaching for the credit card on that one.

Thank god it's sold out!!!!

Don't those damascus blades look incredible though? I understand it's a miniscule amount of vanadium(?) that's added to the blades to make the beautiful swirly marks.

Is there any downside to damascus steel? God I love the look of them...

Holy cow. I went to this page and looked at the one with the abalone handle. I almost spent an entire paycheck in under 30 seconds! My hand was actually reaching for the credit card on that one.

Thank god it's sold out!!!!

Don't those damascus blades look incredible though? I understand it's a miniscule amount of vanadium(?) that's added to the blades to make the beautiful swirly marks.

Is there any downside to damascus steel? God I love the look of them...

Oh, you're freakin killing me here...

I'm moving in a month! I can't buy those! *curls up in a ball*

Ok, Chad...

I went to Amazon to order your book. Couldn't remember the title, so I searched for your name.

Your middle name isn't "Michael," is it? ;)

51hMeNeAesL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Ok, Chad...

I went to Amazon to order your book. Couldn't remember the title, so I searched for your name.

Your middle name isn't "Michael," is it? ;)

51hMeNeAesL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Don't I wish. That's British fetish photographer Chad Michael Ward. I often wonder if he'd be willing to swap lives for a couple of days. I'm a decent photographer :D . All he would have to do to take my place is not cut himself.

Chad

Chad- I bought the MAc on your advice- Bestknife Ive ever had. Cuts like a damn laser
Cool! MACs don't get the respect they deserve, probably because they don't have the marketing & distribution budgets of companies like Shun, Global or Wusthof. Professional cooks, however, love them. They are lightweight, reasonably priced, and hold a razor edge for a good long time, even under serious abuse. I believe the MAC Professional series MTH-80, even with it's recent price increase to $115 street price, is a hell of a bargain.

Chad

Back