Just drank 1st Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie3

Reaction score
Whoa.......what a surprise!!! I just had my first Homebrew, a Porter that I brewed. Man was it good! It spent 4 weeks in the primary, then I bottled 2 and a half weeks ago. Today I decided I couldn't wait any longer and put one in the fridge. Wow, am I pleased...really tasted great. Well carbed and pretty good head.

Anyway, thanks for all the great tips and advice offered here. I am now going to throw a few more in the icebox. Cheers:mug:

Congrats on a successful 1st brew.

Now make sure to get another one or 3 going and save a few of the originals to see how much better it gets after its been in the bottle a few months. Once you learn how to brew, the next thing you need to learn is to build a pipeline :)

Congrats on a successful 1st brew.

Now make sure to get another one or 3 going and save a few of the originals to see how much better it gets after its been in the bottle a few months. Once you learn how to brew, the next thing you need to learn is to build a pipeline :)

Thank you, I have a Nut Brown Ale ready to go in the next day or so.

Damn you left your first beer in the primary for four weeks? Thumbs up to you!

I think I left my first beer in the primary for 20 minutes before I started drinking it. I learned my lesson.

Good work.

I think I left my first beer in the primary for 20 minutes before I started drinking it. I learned my lesson.

Good work.

Oh my god, he did, didn't he!!!

Awesome!

You get a Gold Star for that.

img]

Good work.

It wasn't easy.....I was very busy with work so that kind of helped and it was well worth it. I was going to bottle after 3 weeks but I caught a bad cold so I held off the extra week.:mug:

Fun post to read, said the guy who's where you were a couple months ago (I'm assuming): in the research stage. I got serious about this shi... um, schtuff... about Thanksgiving, and figure it's another two or three weeks yet before my first wort hits the fire. I've read two books, just got three more in. I got a beginner DVD yesterday, watched it last night. I have a LHBS nearby, already hung out for a Saturday afternoon demonstration, and it's where I'll buy all the stuff that needs buying ... except for the antique bottle capper I bought elsewhere. Wonder if it'll work?

The only homebrew I've ever tasted was at the LHBS, and as far as I'm concerned it's tantamount to a microbrew since they're all practiced up and know the deal so well they're making a business of it. It was certainly tasty.

Ah well, if there's one thing I'm learning about this newest hobby of mine, it's that there's little future in making haste. I already know the good things in life take time. So congrats, Ernie ... I'm envious!

Well, congrats on your first brew... and besides inordinate patience, what other annoying habits do you have? Just kidding...leaving it in primary for all that time was incredible! I have trouble with being patient for a couple of weeks! (But that should be getting less of a problem... I've more than one fermenter now)

Fun post to read, said the guy who's where you were a couple months ago (I'm assuming): in the research stage. I got serious about this shi... um, schtuff... about Thanksgiving, and figure it's another two or three weeks yet before my first wort hits the fire. I've read two books, just got three more in. I got a beginner DVD yesterday, watched it last night.
Ah well, if there's one thing I'm learning about this newest hobby of mine, it's that there's little future in making haste. I already know the good things in life take time.

True, but you'll never learn as much about beginning to brew from books as you will by just doing it. Take the step....brew this weekend...we'll all be here to help ya!

True, but you'll never learn as much about beginning to brew from books as you will by just doing it. Take the step....brew this weekend...we'll all be here to help ya!

+1! I asked a ton of questions before I bought my first brewing kit. My first brew day was a Morebeer partial extract kit, light ale, and took me over 8 hours from start to finish. What a blast!

Fun post to read, said the guy who's where you were a couple months ago (I'm assuming): in the research stage. I got serious about this shi... um, schtuff... about Thanksgiving, and figure it's another two or three weeks yet before my first wort hits the fire. I've read two books, just got three more in. I got a beginner DVD yesterday, watched it last night. I have a LHBS nearby, already hung out for a Saturday afternoon demonstration, and it's where I'll buy all the stuff that needs buying ... except for the antique bottle capper I bought elsewhere. Wonder if it'll work?

The only homebrew I've ever tasted was at the LHBS, and as far as I'm concerned it's tantamount to a microbrew since they're all practiced up and know the deal so well they're making a business of it. It was certainly tasty.

Ah well, if there's one thing I'm learning about this newest hobby of mine, it's that there's little future in making haste. I already know the good things in life take time. So congrats, Ernie ... I'm envious!

Thanks and goodluck with your first batch too! It really is great knowing that all of the waiting was well worth it.

Well, congrats on your first brew... and besides inordinate patience, what other annoying habits do you have? Just kidding...leaving it in primary for all that time was incredible! I have trouble with being patient for a couple of weeks! (But that should be getting less of a problem... I've more than one fermenter now)

LOL, thanks.

congrats, your success will make me wait for my first brew one week in the primary 2 or 3 more weeks to go.

I was SHOCKED at how good my first beer came out.

I've never done an all extract batch. I started out with a partial mash and it was easy enough.

Latest posts

Back