Peanut Butter Porter W/Powdered Peanut Butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For mine, the peanut butter is also subdued, but the chocolate is fairly prominent. I may increase the pb a little bit, and decrease the cocoa powder from 8oz to 6oz. So use about a jar and a half of powdered peanut butter, and 6oz of the chocolate, and I think you will have a more blatantly peanut butter chocolate stout.

If I was to go 1.074-1.084 or so OG(maye more, !@#$ bulk grains make it hard to stick to lower gravities... ) would 2 cans of PB be overkill with 8oz of chocolate? Gotta go bigger so I can save a few bottles back for a few years ya know... ;)

I doubt 2 cans would be overpowering. What is going to be difficult is dealing with the sludge. The longer the chocolate and peanut butter sludge is in contact with your beer, the more flavor you will get out of it, so get as much in your fermenter as possible.

I doubt 2 cans would be overpowering. What is going to be difficult is dealing with the sludge. The longer the chocolate and peanut butter sludge is in contact with your beer, the more flavor you will get out of it, so get as much in your fermenter as possible.

so if you add it in 2nd and leave it in there for 2 months it'll get nice and peanutbuttery! :rockin:

Well, I think it is an interesting question about where you should add the peanut butter. Much of the flavors could quite possibly be alcohol soluble, thus adding it to secondary would be useful, but much of the flavor may also be extracted more efficiently from the heat of the boil, by adding it at the last 5 minutes or so.

Actually maybe they're not so high after all (the IBUs). I took a look at the recipe I was considering starting with for my pb cup stout and it's got 35 as well. It's from this board's z987k's chocolate stout recipe:

10lbs 2row
2lbs chocolate malt
.5lb caraffa III
.5lb CaraPils
1lb lactose
1oz Warrior 35mins (= 35 IBU)

4oz bakers chocolate at the end of the boil
4oz semi-sweet chocolate in the secondary

I'm pretty sure that my LHBS does not carry caraffa malt so have to find a substitute for that.

I was planning on matching my PB with the chocolate -- half a jar of the powdered at end of boil and half in the secondary. Probably will mix with water and heat to 130+ for 10 minutes or so to semi-pasteurize. Might also opt to use cocoa nibs instead of chocolate.

How did this turn out for you? I am doing pretty much this same thing today, only with 13oz of PB2 added at the end of the boil with the baking chocolate.

How did this turn out for you? I am doing pretty much this same thing today, only with 13oz of PB2 added at the end of the boil with the baking chocolate.

If you add it to the boil, get as much of the sludge as possible in the primary.

Holy sheet this sounds cool. I'm bookmarking this thread, printing it out, putting it under my pillow, ... :D

Chocolate raspberry stout (AHS recipe) is the stuff.
Now peanut butter stout.

Heck even a bacon stout would probably taste good. But I digress...

I better make some room in my kegerator. :mug:

Now... I know that meat has been done, but doesn't work out well in a fermenter... But what about IMITATION bacon bits? :D Someone's gotta try it.

actually going to pull my first glass of this tonight, tell you how it goes

Not enough Peanut Butter, you can't even tell it's there. I would triple it to 6 jars.

The more mine is aging the more I can taste the PB, it still needs more but its at least noticible now.

bump. Just wanted to say thank you for the thread. Im gonna do a peanut butter and banana beer in honor of elvis....I never thought about using powdered peanutbutter but since deoiling sounds like a pain in the ass i think im doin it.

So, whats new in the powdered peanut butter world? Anyone try this with 3 jars/5 gallon batch yet? Do they sell a chunky variety of PB2?

I'm curious to know if anything came of more peanut butter in this brew? Has anyone made it recently?

Also curious about a possible mini-mash or extract version?

Made it recently, racked the porter onto the peanut butter powder for 3 weeks with 3 cans and while you could taste some peanut butter while still in secondary, the taste was gone after bottling.

Made it recently, racked the porter onto the peanut butter powder for 3 weeks with 3 cans and while you could taste some peanut butter while still in secondary, the taste was gone after bottling.

You used three cans of peanut butter? Sorry just trying to clarify.

Anyone have anymore updates to the peanut butter stout? I just picked up some powdered PB and am going to make a PB Chocolate Stout.

Noob question: Would the powdered PB coagulate if you were to add it closer to the beginning of the boil? Would it help impart a bit more PB flavor?

I used 1 container of the PB2 in the boil and was going to put another in the secondary but can't get any more right now they are not selling it, so there is not much PB flavor.

Been wanting to do a peanut butter cup stout and was excited to find this thread.

It looks like there are two makers of powdered peanut butter now. Bell Plantation and Fitnutz. Looks like Bell is backordered through the end of next week but Fitnutz has some in stock.

Curious about why people think that the taste is weak even with using larger quantities.

Could it be that the peanuts aren't alcohol or liquid soluble and can't be tasted when they fall out of suspension? That the flavor that remains is from the smallest of particles that were still in suspension?

Would adding the powder at the start of boil help this or would you just end up with a gooey mess at the bottom of the kettle getting scorched and ruining the whole batch?

I'm ordering two 13oz packages of the Fitnutz product and will be trying this in a few weeks, just want to try and figure out my best bet for getting the most flavor in there.

Has anyone tried roasting pale malt with peanuts then discarding the peanuts and using the malt?

Would that even work?

WW

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I have brewed with Pecans before and had mixed results. I wonder if adding peanuts to the mash, Powder at flameout, and powder in secondary would give flavor. Tried one at the GABF 2yrs ago and did not think of it till now. No idea what brewery or if I liked it.

I just brewed this and put 2 jars in the boil, I plan on racking on top of another jar. Also someone asked about where to find it, I am in the army and i found it at the commissary on post. Anyone know where to find chocolate extract?

I just brewed this and put 2 jars in the boil, I plan on racking on top of another jar. Also someone asked about where to find it, I am in the army and i found it at the commissary on post. Anyone know where to find chocolate extract?

The spicehouse.com or Northern Brewer

So did anyone ever come to a conclusion as to how much of the powdered PB to use here?

Also, if adding it to secondary, is there any way to make sure it's sterilized and all that?

I'm still sitting on mine in secondary. Added 8 oz at boil, and 8oz to secondary. Couldn't taste the PB when transferring, will taste again in a few months. I soaked the PB Powder in vodka for a month before putting it in secondary...

Any update on this? I had a reese's stout at the Great Taste of the Midwest this summer and a few friends who tried it have been begging me to brew one. It had an incredible chocolate/pb flavor too it, but I was too buzzed to remember to talk to the brewer about it. It was from Kuhnhenns brewery, but they won't email me back.

I'm thinking about using 4 jars of the peanut butter (2 in boil and 2 in secondary since I don't care about head), and a bottle of the chocolate extract that northernbrewer sells. I'm just not sure whether I should use the PB2 or real peanut butter at this point.

Back