Epic failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinop

Reaction score
I had kegged a 5 gallon batch weekend before last to be ready when I returned from Thanksgiving vacation. We arrived back home this past Saturday so as soon as everything was put away & things were back to normal I went out to my shed to check my keezer. When I opened it up, one of the kegs was not sitting upright but leaning to the side a little bit. When I went to push it down to see what was going on, I noticed it along with another keg were floating & the new keg was empty. Turning on the light reveled that all the beer from the new keg was sitting in my keezer. It appears that the liquid side poppet did not close & over the course of 5 days, it leaked out & was sitting in the bottom of my keezer. I did check it last Tuesday & even poured a small glass to get a quick taste but didn't notice anything wrong.The good news is the keezer didn't leak so there wasn't beer on the floor so the mess was contained & also my wet/dry vacuum was able to clean up the mess quickly.

Oh well, it certainly could have been worse!

IDK what I'd do without my shop-vac... Def a must with this hobby!

Sorry for the lost beer, man. Luckily this hobby is all about the pipeline! Hopefully you wont be dry for long.

I had just ordered & received a Cereal Killer Grain Mill from Adventures in Homebrewing so I brewed up a new batch yesterday & will also brew this weekend. Which reminds me of more good news. I ordered the grain mill last Monday & it was at my house on Weds. with free shipping. Can't ask for more than that!

You can always carb through the bev out tube if you're going to be away from it for a few days. If the other poppet leaks, all you will lose is gas.

Kevlink that's a great idea.

A little unrelated but recently was in a huge rush brewing one day (always a bad idea) hooked up to my out post on an over pressurized keg to try out that decarbing method posted around here and let the regulator gauge screw out completely..... Cleaned it out and good to go but a little afraid every time I hook gas to an outpost now

I had kegged a 5 gallon batch weekend before last to be ready when I returned from Thanksgiving vacation. We arrived back home this past Saturday so as soon as everything was put away & things were back to normal I went out to my shed to check my keezer. When I opened it up, one of the kegs was not sitting upright but leaning to the side a little bit. When I went to push it down to see what was going on, I noticed it along with another keg were floating & the new keg was empty. Turning on the light reveled that all the beer from the new keg was sitting in my keezer. It appears that the liquid side poppet did not close & over the course of 5 days, it leaked out & was sitting in the bottom of my keezer. I did check it last Tuesday & even poured a small glass to get a quick taste but didn't notice anything wrong.The good news is the keezer didn't leak so there wasn't beer on the floor so the mess was contained & also my wet/dry vacuum was able to clean up the mess quickly.

Oh well, it certainly could have been worse!

Been there done that but thankfully only lost about 3 gallons of oatmeal stout before the 5# CO2 tank I was force carbonating with ran out. I second the thank goodness for shop vacs sentiment.

Does anyone else spray Starsan on all the threaded fittings, lid o-ring, and poppets on their kegs after pressurizing? The Starsan solution will bubble if there's a leak. I do this every time I put gas on a keg because I don't want to lose gas or beer!

Back