Asskicker Sandwich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Great, simple food. Good for leftovers disposal. Or, single guy "it's hard to screw this up" food.

Two thick slices of hearty bread (whole grain, rye, sourdough, etc)
Some sliced roast beef
Some sliced ham or turkey
Two big slices of cheese (I prefer Swiss)
Mayo
Spicy mustard
Seasonings as desired

Heat a frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Slather each slice of bread with mayo on one side and spicy mustard on the other. Lay the bread mayo-side-down on a plate, and put a slice of cheese on each piece of bread. Pile the meat on top of the cheese. Season as you prefer with any combination of salt, pepper, hot sauce, ranch dressing, garlic salt, seasoned salt, or whatever else floats your boat. Put the sandwich together and throw it on the hot pan. Brown on both sides like a grilled cheese sandwich. Grilling with mayo instead of butter makes for a tangy crust.

Serve with a big dill pickle and a beer you can chew on - a big stout, porter, dunkel, bock, or winter warmer.

Oh yeah, forgot one thing: for the single guys, turn the stove off when you're done.

mmm... sounds like a grilled dagwood... and I loves me a good dagwood... I've broiled them before, but never thought of grilling them... will have to try this... :tank:

At first, I saw Ass & Sandwich in the same line. I'm glad I read the rest of the post. :D

Mighty helpful of you Yuri for those poor single souls out there. I'm thankful today to have my SWMBO who loves my beer and puts up with me.

I've never tried the mayo trick. There is the problem that if it smells too good the greyhounds will grab it!

Tried this today, and in the spirit of "leftovers disposal" made it with some sliced seasoned pork loin (thanksgiving dinner's not happening until saturday for my family) and it was great. Love the mayo idea, when I first read it I couldn't believe it'd work out, but it was great. Can't wait to make it again when I've got some more good stuff to put in it!

SWMBO is cooking one up for me as I type. Tillamook pepperjack cheese, smoked wild turkey, whole grain bread (baked fresh yesterday using spent grain), thin sliced prime rib from Thanksgiving supper and chipotle mayo. Nice big glass of IIPA. Thanks for the idea Yuri!!:)

Back