Starter using LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
Having Scottish ancestry it didn't take me long to deduce that using malt extract in my starter instead of DME, which is on par with the price of gold (so thinks my LHBS), would be a more cost effective approach. So the question I have is, who does this and what proportions do you use?

DME = dry malt extract
LME = liquid malt extract

The rule of thumb is to use 1 gram of DME for every 10 ml of final starter volume. Since LME is about 20% water, you'd need to use 20% more LME, which would be 1.2 grams per 10 ml of final volume.

By final volume, I mean the volume of the water plus the malt extract. Don't measure out all of the water first and then add the malt extract-- you'll overshoot the volume. Mix up the malt extract in some water and then top up to your final volume.

I personally use DME for starters since it's easier to measure out to the gram.

-Steve

I use DME for starters simply because it's so much easier to store once the bag has been opened. The only LME I can get locally comes in cans, and I don't know that I want to store an opened can of LME for up to 6 months, whereas the DME keeps fine if I put it in a ziplock bag.

-a.

Back