May I recommend a book? (non-beer, but close enough)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Home Production of Vodkas, Infusions & Liqueurs - by Adam Marianski

I am not interested in spirits and have not reached the point in brewing where I would experiment with spices, etc. I did however buy this book about two years ago because I thought it would be fun to read and I think it contains useful information for many of you experimental brewers.

A couple of other non-beer titles which I have found interesting are:

The art of fermentation - by Sandor Katz (this chap will ferment everything, give him your monitor and he'll ferment it)
The bread builder - by Alan Scott
Meat smoking and smokehouse design - by Adam Marianski

Just to clarify, I do not have any affiliation to either of the authors .. I just found those books quite interesting to read and somehow relevant to what we are doing here :)

If that first book is really about distilling liquor, expect this post to not be here long. That's a no-no here.

If that first book is really about distilling liquor, expect this post to not be here long. That's a no-no here.

No it is not. It is a book published in US about making tinctures and extracting flavor from spices, etc. The author then combines these tincture to create spirits, etc. which is the part I think could be interesting for brewers. The starting point is duty-paid vodka.

Flavoring spirits is quite common in continental Europe, where the author originates and where he conducted his research. Over there you can legally buy 96% & 70% alcohol which is necessary when creating some of the fruit based vodkas, where the water extracted from the fruit would dilute standard 40% vodka to the point where it is not vodka anymore.

Back