1st timer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so I just brewed up a partial grain extract kit, a BB american pale ale, and I think I moved it to the secondary too quickly - SG was 1.054 and FG is 1.02, directions said to wait until 1.015 but I missed that part, also lost about 3/4 a gallon due to 2 x Daschunds knocking over my bucket(Germans make good beer not good dogs). My question is, if it tastes too sweet for beer and at the same time too hoppy, will this sweetness cut down after a time? I know the hoppiness will cool out, I read that in a different post. Thanks guys!

RDWHA - CB ( Craft Brew)... You will be fine. I doubt you'll notice a .05 difference. Frankly, I'd be amazed that your hydrometer would be that accurate!

Seriously, let it sit in that secondary for a while. I was suprised how much better my first beer was about 3-4 weeks after brewing (kegged). It mellows with age.

It will be just fine, and will continue to ferment even off the yeast cake since there is a lot of yeast in solution. Next time, though I would recommend leaving it in the primary for 3+ weeks and forgetting the secondary. I only use a secondary when dry hopping or lagering for more than 2 months. As for the sweetness, this will not fade over time. Actually it will be the opposite, or rather it will become more noticable as the hops fade. But this will not happen quickly, it will take months for the hop aroma and flavor to fade noticably. Grats on the first brew...sounds delicious! :mug:

Ok, so I just brewed up a partial grain extract kit, a BB american pale ale, and I think I moved it to the secondary too quickly - SG was 1.054 and FG is 1.02, directions said to wait until 1.015 but I missed that part, also lost about 3/4 a gallon due to 2 x Daschunds knocking over my bucket(Germans make good beer not good dogs). My question is, if it tastes too sweet for beer and at the same time too hoppy, will this sweetness cut down after a time? I know the hoppiness will cool out, I read that in a different post. Thanks guys!

ok, thanks for the replies. I'll leave it alone for a couple of weeks and try it then, and then bottle it up and try it a few weeks from that and see what happens.

Back