Will Sulfite Level be too High?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevraz

Reaction score
I have a five gallon batch of apple wine which has been racked three times and I added potassium metabilsulphite (less than 1/4 teaspoon each time) after each racking. I didn't smell any sulphur and it tasted ok when I did the last racking but I am concerned that the level might be too high now. Should I get a test kit to check the level or might it be ok and bottle without adding any additional sulfite.

Thanks

I don't know the exact answer to this question, but it did raise a question of my own....why did you add meta each time you racked?

A recipe that I followed called for adding it every racking. Since I am new to the wine making process I didn't think about it until I started reading various articles. From what I have read there is free and bound sulfite and my concern is the bound sulfite and can it be harmful to consume if the level is to high?

The amount of sulfur dioxide that becomes bound to the wine/cider quickly saturates and adding more SO2 does not create more bound SO2. I think you'll be fine as 1/4 tsp per 5 gals is the correct amount to maintain 50mg/L - I usually add it at every other racking and at bottling. I can also taste too much SO2 as a metallic and/or soapy taste.

Hmm.. interesting, I hadn't ever heard of adding at intervals... I just use before pitching yeast. As long as all the equipment is sanitized properly during racking I don't see the use for it.

Hmm.. interesting, I hadn't ever heard of adding at intervals... I just use before pitching yeast. As long as all the equipment is sanitized properly during racking I don't see the use for it.

It's used as an antioxidant.

If you use it at every other racking (which guestimates 50 ppm throughout), then the bound S02 prohibits oxygen uptake in the wine.

The most common defect in wine is oxidation, so anything you can do to prevent it is a good thing. It's probably ok in wines that are drunk very young, but it's pretty routine for winemakers to try to keep the sulfite level at 50 ppm.

It dissipates quickly, so if it's added at the beginning, it's long gone before bottling time.

It's used as an antioxidant.

If you use it at every other racking (which guestimates 50 ppm throughout), then the bound S02 prohibits oxygen uptake in the wine.

The most common defect in wine is oxidation, so anything you can do to prevent it is a good thing. It's probably ok in wines that are drunk very young, but it's pretty routine for winemakers to try to keep the sulfite level at 50 ppm.

It dissipates quickly, so if it's added at the beginning, it's long gone before bottling time.

Yooper....you are always a good source of info. Thanks :)

Latest posts

Back