Oktoberfests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it's usually attributed to a Marzen (or even sometimes a Helles), then traditionally it's a lager. But, there are many good 'Oktoberfest' beers that are made with ale yeast.

Thanks, the reason I ask is because my second batch ever, I'm new to this, was a gift of an Oktoberfest kit, from Midwest I think. I followed the kit directions to the letter and it didn't say anything about lagering or temperature control during fermentation. Then after fermentation started I read on here how Oktoberfests are lagers, and I thought I had screwed up; but I continued on anyway without lagering and bottled the batch.

Well it has been in bottles about three weeks, so I decided to crack a couple open last night, not sure what I was going to get. It seemed to me, in my noobishness that it turned out remarkable well. It was clean and crisp, mild flavored, and had no discernible off favors or "twang" like I got from my first batch which I freely admit to have made mistakes on. I'm not familiar with Oktoberfest style beers so have no idea if mine taste the way it's supposed to.

My suspicion is that this kit was not a lager. During fermentation there was furious activity.

Back