Recipe Advice please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
Well, as it turns out my GF loves to brew with me, but doesnt much enjoy my taste in beers (which is admittedly rather wide), so shes commissioned me with making something she can enjoy for the upcoming spring. Shes not very fond of anything bitter at all so im gonna keep the IBU's low, and amongst her favorite beers are Shock Top (which she wasnt too pleased with me telling her was total trash). Here's what i've come up with to see if I can cheaply and effectively mimic something she'd enjoy, and... maybe me too.

Partial Boil, 5 gal final
3lbs Light DME
2Lbs Bavarian Wheat DME
1oz hallertaur pellets (.75oz for 45mins, .25oz last 10 mins)
2oz sweet orange peal (1 oz last 10 mins, 1 oz steep for 10 mins after flameout)
1oz crushed corriander (.5oz last 10 mins, .5oz steep for 10mins after flameout)
S-33 strain (picked this for phenolics, and... I have a Belgian finishing this weekend I can harvest and wash)

Expecting an OG of appox 1.045
what do you guys think? Too much with the orange? Different Yeast?

I say brew whatever-the-hell-you-want. She'll figure out beer eventually, and soon enough she'll school someone drinking yellow fizzy water. I say this because I too thought I could brew something my wife would like. The real issue is that they haven't had the exposure and time drinking craft beers to know what to expect/look for.

Just keep brewing different stuff and have her taste test with you - acknowledging the nuances of the style, talking about what you like and don't like etc. You'll probably learn a little something too.

Yea that probably isnt gonna work, and I have her taste all different styles when im drinking. In any case, that also doesnt really help with the recipe

alrighty then. I would add .5 oz bittering hops (need something for balance), get rid of the coriander and orange peel (these can make a beer go south in a hurry) and for yeast, I would go with an american wheat or california ale and certainly not a belgian.

What you are working on there somewhat resembles an extract witbier. Look through the recipes section for more ideas.

In any case, don't use more than 1oz in a 5gal batch of either the coriander or orange unless you want them to be the dominant characteristics of the beer. I think 1oz is a little too much IMHO, and you'll often find recipes call for between 0.5oz to 1.0oz.

I understand the appeal of using the yeast cake you already have -- it's economical. However, wits are a delicate balance and at their best, they are made all grain and require some repetition to get just right. So might I suggest a German weissbier or American wheat? Either one could be accomplished with a similar recipe by omitting the orange and coriander and using a different yeast strain.

I am about to brew a Blue Moon clone for my wife and her girlfriends who all love the stuff.

Here is my recipe. It is based on another recipe that has been highly accepted by the female species. :)

5.0 gal batch.

3 lbs of Briess Golden Light DME
3 lbs of white wheat malt (Or you could use wheat DME)
1.0 lb pure clover honey
12 oz of "quick oats" or brewing oats. Should be mashed for 60 minutes.

Hops:
1.0 oz of Cascades or other low AA hops at 60 minutes.

Additions:
0.5 or 1.0 oz of crushed coriander added at last 10 min of boil
0.3 oz of sweet orange peel added at last 5 min of boil.

Yeast:
American Wheat Beer yeast of choice.

She has her heart set on the orange citrus flavors from shock top or blue moon but I'm trying to avoid brewing a full on wit, I can prob go with an american wheat with late orange/coriander additions although less as suggested, S-05?

Unless you are prepared to drink it, don't do it. If it doesn't come out 'just right' (which is probably what you will end up with on your first try), she may not drink more than a couple of beers from it.

Oh if shes not into it, i'd likely have no trouble drinking it. Blue moon is a common go to at a bar where they dont have anything on draft im interested in. Still, id LIKE to mimic those flavors and body with out actually brewing a wit. Its not going to competition, I dont care if the color is spot on, How close is the recipe I gave, what adjustments should I make other than the late spice additions are too heavy?
12oz quick oats sounds like a nice add on, 60 min mash huh? Clover honey gets a bit pricey if I remember, I was looking at orange blossom honey and it was like $20 for 3 lbs

Well, as it turns out my GF loves to brew with me, but doesnt much enjoy my taste in beers (which is admittedly rather wide), so shes commissioned me with making something she can enjoy for the upcoming spring. Shes not very fond of anything bitter at all so im gonna keep the IBU's low, and amongst her favorite beers are Shock Top (which she wasnt too pleased with me telling her was total trash). Here's what i've come up with to see if I can cheaply and effectively mimic something she'd enjoy, and... maybe me too.

Partial Boil, 5 gal final
3lbs Light DME
2Lbs Bavarian Wheat DME
1oz hallertaur pellets (.75oz for 45mins, .25oz last 10 mins)
2oz sweet orange peal (1 oz last 10 mins, 1 oz steep for 10 mins after flameout)
1oz crushed corriander (.5oz last 10 mins, .5oz steep for 10mins after flameout)
S-33 strain (picked this for phenolics, and... I have a Belgian finishing this weekend I can harvest and wash)

Expecting an OG of appox 1.045
what do you guys think? Too much with the orange? Different Yeast?

don't mean to continue repeating what everyone has already said, but i would highly recommend only using 0.5 oz of orange peel in your boil. that will give plenty of orange "taste" to your beer.

if you really want to get orange in the nose, add some fresh orange peel to your beer once fermentation is complete. shave 2-3 oranges into your batch.

also, try using some amarillo hops for flavor/aroma. should give you a hoppy orange sensation that i think you'll find quite delightful.

but hey, who am i to tell you what you like! brew whatever your little heart desires:mug:

Yea def less orange in the boil seems to be the theme, zest a little orange post ferment ya think? The rest of the recipe seems spot on, with the addition of some oats? Im likely to switch to S-05 for this then, as I already have some on hand.

Even if this recipe goes south I have a dunkel conditioning, a belgian pale thats going to bottles on monday (which I took a sample today and was floored at the flavors), and the next batch is gonna be THIS, plus a scottish 60, and a citra pale. I think ill live if its not perfect

Oh if shes not into it, i'd likely have no trouble drinking it. Blue moon is a common go to at a bar where they dont have anything on draft im interested in. Still, id LIKE to mimic those flavors and body with out actually brewing a wit. Its not going to competition, I dont care if the color is spot on, How close is the recipe I gave, what adjustments should I make other than the late spice additions are too heavy?
12oz quick oats sounds like a nice add on, 60 min mash huh? Clover honey gets a bit pricey if I remember, I was looking at orange blossom honey and it was like $20 for 3 lbs

Any honey will work, it adds some sweetness and alcohol which is good for a "girly beer" :)

I'll be doing this with a wheat mash and adding the oats to that. The oats might add something with a 30 min steep if using pure extract. They add a more full body than wheat alone.

I think the S-05 would work out really well for this beer.

Unlike what has been suggested here, honey will not give you added sweetness, but rather will give you added aroma, increased dryness in the finish, and thinner body. Some people consider wheat beers to have a rather dry finish already, or at least perceive dryness from wheat. You won't be missing anything if you omit the honey. If you decide to use it, by all means, check the price at a grocery store, where small amounts are likely to be cheaper than at the LHBS.

If you decide to use oats then you need to mash them. I'd do a partial mash with a couple of pounds of white wheat malt and the precooked oats (look up "cereal mash"). Personally, I think oats get a little heavy and chewy for a wheat beer, and I'd opt instead for flaked/torrified wheat instead of the oats to get that huge, billowy head stand. But to each his own.

Have fun with the new creation!

If you want to mash them, you need to use some grain with some enzymes to convert the starches. You can steep the oats. I'm not sure what you will get apart from some haze. Some people think you still get mouthfeel from steeping. I've never tried; I always mash.

Any honey will do. $20 for 3 lbs is not worth it for this one. It does dry the beer a little. I'm not sure you really get much aroma from it either. You certainly will lose most flavor and aroma if you add it to the boil. I think I'd just use sugar in t's place. If you want to use honey, buy the cheapest you can find; check out Sams Club or Costco.

If you decide to use oats then you need to mash them. I'd do a partial mash with a couple of pounds of white wheat malt and the precooked oats (look up "cereal mash").

That must be really difficult to mash; no husk to help it drain.

That must be really difficult to mash; no husk to help it drain.

Definitely would be difficult with a mash tun. However, most people doing partial mash + extract brews don't have a mash tun and do the partial mash BIAB style. Draining can be facilitated with a little squeezing.

I dont have a mash tun and im really not trying to build one this week either (I dont care that it'd take me $25 and 30 mins), Im gonna nix the honey, if I want it thinner, drier, or a higher ABV id just add dextrose and save all that money. On the other hand, the added body and head support from some flaked wheat might make this recipe. Think 1lbs is enough? Its obviously not for the added convertable sugars. Im gonna cut back the sweet orange to .5oz at the last 10 mins and the corriander to .5oz last 10 mins, add in maybe One zested orange into the primary after 8 days.

So im gonna expect an american wheat with notes of coriander and citrus, nose of orange, very low bitterness with a medium body, OG around 1.047, final abv 4.5% (desired), no clarifiers.... how are we looking now?

I recently brewed a close variation of a recipe found on this forum, Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale. I've been brewing for a little over a year now and each batch I make, my wife usually takes a taste, just to see what I've made even though she really hates beer. The cream ale I just made was the first batch ever that my wife took a sip, then took my glass away from me and told me to get my own. A proud moment! Its a perfect beer for non-beer lovers or those who tend to prefer the light lagers. If she isn't a huge fan of the wheat beer or you want to try something after this recipe, try the Cream of Three Crops ale...it honestly surprised me that my wife loved it. She hates beer, since I met her in college I've seen her maybe drink beer twice, and she loves this one I just brewed. It might be worth a try.

I dont have a mash tun and im really not trying to build one this week either (I dont care that it'd take me $25 and 30 mins), Im gonna nix the honey, if I want it thinner, drier, or a higher ABV id just add dextrose and save all that money. On the other hand, the added body and head support from some flaked wheat might make this recipe. Think 1lbs is enough? Its obviously not for the added convertable sugars. Im gonna cut back the sweet orange to .5oz at the last 10 mins and the corriander to .5oz last 10 mins, add in maybe One zested orange into the primary after 8 days.

So im gonna expect an american wheat with notes of coriander and citrus, nose of orange, very low bitterness with a medium body, OG around 1.047, final abv 4.5% (desired), no clarifiers.... how are we looking now?

Sounding good to me! Let me know what recipe you end up doing so we can compare notes when I make my "chic-wheat" this month! I really want to create a wheat beer that the women love...obviously the more ABV the better because we all know that Ethanol makes clothes come off. :D

werd yo I might have to call this brew "The Panty Droppers"

It's widely agreed upon in the homebrew community that any beer that tastes so good that you can't tell that it has a high alcohol content shall be referred to as a "Panty Dropper" :mug:

on that note, im gonna drop my panties.

In any case, im gonna change my yeast strain to WB-06 for this brew and see where we end up. Let me know what you think, anyhow im going for it, ill keep yous guys posted

Oh also, If im zesting orange peal into the fermentor, should I sanitize it 1st? do I need to put it in a grainbag or cheese cloth or can I just toss it right in there?

Back