What in the world is this muck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
Lets see, I brewed beer for the first time about 6 years ago and only did one batch. Today, I have a whole keg system in which I put commercial kegs and I reserved one keg for homebrew. Well, having sucesfully brewed (and bottled) a batch of beer from the starter kit years ago I figured I was good to go. Long story short, I called up an internet homebrew supply and he made a personalized kit for me (I didnt want the plastic buckets, only carboys). So, my beer of choice was Muntons IPA Bitter. The HBS sent me 1 can of IPA bitter, all the equipment and a 3lbs of "Brew Sugar". I followed the "simple instructions" since this was my first batch which were pretty much as follows:

Heat the can of extract (IPA Bitter)
Boil 2 gallons of water
pour extract & hot water in
pour in 2lbs sugar
top off with cold water
shake, add yeast and wait 4-5 days until bubbles are 2-3 minutes apart

After this I kegged and my beer flat out sucks. It also has a metalic taste, kinda tastes like rust. My question is:

1. What is the metalic taste? Everything was steralized.
2. What was I actually supposed to do to brew this beer, hops, malt etc??

2 lbs of sugar? what kind of sugar? Table sugar? The refined white crap? Heh, that probably accounts for at least some of the crappiness of your beer.

Canned extract & add sugar is a recipe for bad beer. Maybe you could have made something good out of it, but not likely.

I've brewed with canned extract once, because it was free. And the only time I used sucrose is in cider. Bitters & IPA's are two different beasts, so it's hard to tell what the goal was.

Metalic flavors are either poorly stored extract OR metals (water, kettles, etc.)

Try an extract kit from austinhomebrew, williams or more beer. The ingredients will be fresh and brewing won't be any harder than what you did for the brew-in-a-can.

The very first batch I brewed used canned pre-hopped extract and corn sugar. It did not turn out well and I couldn't drink it. Get a kit with all malt extract,steeping grains and a good yeast and you will like it much better.

metallic taste could be the cider-y taste that all that sugar produced. Don't give up on this. Find a recipe you like on here and do it as exact as you can. You won't be disappointed if it's done right.

Oh, http://howtobrew.com

What pressure are you kegging at? I've overcarbed bitters that have hence taken on a metallic taste. The taste subsided when I dropped the pressure.

Back