Show off your amatuer hops garden!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsbrasil

Reaction score
I have a hops growers group in Brazil on FB w over 1400 members. I'm trying to help by posting ideas on how to set up thier amatuer gardens. I'm looking for innovative ideas, be it one plant or many.. For example, Plants on balconies, horizontal or diagonal gardens..different structures, etc.
Thanks in advance !!

(By posting here you are giving permission for me to copy and reuse your pics)

Here is a pic from last year in Brazil of my first year plant in a clothes basket w bamboo and string wrapped in a spiral. Plant ended up almost 20 long and less than 6 feet tal.

image.jpg

Man that must be a pain in the ass to tend to..... Training vines, pruning. How do you do it?

Man that must be a pain in the ass to tend to..... Training vines, pruning. How do you do it?

Training is only a PITA when they reach the back of the cage. I like that I have to be involved in the training process. It gives me time to look the plant over and make sure that things are okay and healthy. I usually do this when everyone else is sleeping in the morning.

I'll prune once or twice. The weeds don't get too bad, and they're easy enough just to pull right out of the ground. Otherwise, once the bines are trained and established, I'll let the rest grow. I wouldn't want an acre of these, but 4 is fine. It gives me what I need in order to brew for a year without buying many hops, if any.

Diagonally grown hops from sub-irrigated planters to a fence and then to a roof top 6/29:

hop-tunnel-6-29-16.jpg

I don't have any pictures of mine, but I have an A-frame design for mine. I used the longest boards I could fined, which ended up being 12 feet long. I have hinges at the top, to spread the bottoms apart, then linked across the top with another board. So it ends up being a big less than 12 feet, I have 4 plants now, down from a max of 5. I loop Jute twine through O-rings at the top to a garden stake at the bottom, and let the plants grow up that. Doesn't take a lot of space in my garden, and I've ended up with over a pound of wet hops in one season.

I'm growing mine on a couple old carport frames. Edited to add: it's fenced in because the hop yard is also the chicken coop. The chickens help fertilize and keep the bug population in check. (I put upside down tomato cages around the base of each plant this first year to protect the rhizomes from being scratched out by the chickens... Hopefully the cages can be removed once the root systems are established.)

image.jpg

Last edited:
I installed a 23' flag pole then did 2 4;x8' beds on each side. 1 bed will have Cascade, the other Chinook. Then around my deck will be Nugget. All are first year.

Back