Long tertiary for lambic...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
So I made a pineapple lambic back in October. It's been aging in my basement ever since. I want to bottle it and have a few questions. For reference, here's what I did:

6 lbs. light malt extract syrup
1/2 lb. 2 row pale
1/2 crystal 20*
1/2 oz. stale Hallertau leaf hops (60)
10 lbs. crushed pineapple
Wyeast Roselaire yeast

Did a sour mash per Papazian... Next day (10/14/07) did my boil. Primary for a week. On 10/21, racked to 2ndary onto 10 lbs. crushed pineapple. A month later (11/17) racked off fruit to tertiary. Been there ever since.

So the questions:

1) The white film on top... Natural pellicle? From the funky bunch in the yeast/sour mash? Just stick the siphon in and rack below it?

2) This has been aging for 7 months. I would imagine that a yeast addition before bottling is in order. What's the best amount/type/method for that? FYI, I have light blue Safale packets handy.

Thanks in advance! Pics below... Yeah, funky lambic ages between a vacuum cleaner and hockey pads, lol....

lambic_1.jpg

lambic_2.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the pellicle - it seems fairly normal, and I've seen far stranger than that on successful lambics.

I'd definitely suggest tasting the beer before considering bottling. Lambics have to be treated way differently than Sacch beer. In traditional lambics, at least, it was always considered necessary to store it through at least one complete summer, because the high temperatures allow the pediococcus to flourish, producing the perfect sour profile. From the pellicle, I believe you have nice secondary yeast activity, but the sourness is up in the air. Ultimately, I'd leave it to your palate. If you like it now, great! Bottle it. If not, trust that it will continue to develop with more time.

-Kai

:off: I take it by the pads you play roller hockey? I play goalie also, when we can find a place that will let us play.

Back