Questions for outdoor bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve7558

Reaction score
I'm in the very early planning stages for building an outdoor bar to be donated for my kids school fundraising auction. A small group of us are putting together a package, and we've already got a pair of these keg stools donated:

http://www.mattstools.com/product_info.php/the-keg-stool-kit-p-110000011

an outdoor swing being built by another parent, and a margarita machine being donated.

The centerpiece though is the bar that I'm building. I've already got a couple of granite slab remnants that I will use for the countertops (countertop height in the back with a bar height shelf in front). I want to build a kegerator into it, but have some questions I couldn't find answers to searching the site.

1 - This is most likely going to be purchased by somebody who has kids (it is a school auction). I plan on having the tap tower on top of the bar, what is the best way of locking this to prevent kids from sneaking a cold one when the parents are not home? Locking fridge with a disconnect inside?

2 - in building the two level bar, would it be better to have the tower on the bar height front, or the counter height rear?

3 - I've seen lots of instructions for building the kegerator and mounting the tower to the top of the fridge. I'm assuming it's as simple as running longer lines if I'm mounting the tower on the bar instead? Obviously the lines would need to be insulated.

4 - Should I plan to have two mini-fridges in the setup, one for the kegs and one for other cold drinks?

5 - Would you recommend going with a dual-corny keg system over a standard keg system? I haven't seen any microfridges that fit a full keg, and I'm thinking that for a home system having the smaller kegs would be better to prevent beer from sitting for a long time?

6 - Are there any recommendations for hardware for outside? Not knowing who this will be bought by I have no idea if it will be under cover.

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll have many more questions as the project progresses.

-Steve

steve7558 said:
I'm in the very early planning stages for building an outdoor bar to be donated for my kids school fundraising auction. A small group of us are putting together a package, and we've already got a pair of these keg stools donated:

http://www.mattstools.com/product_info.php/the-keg-stool-kit-p-110000011

an outdoor swing being built by another parent, and a margarita machine being donated.

The centerpiece though is the bar that I'm building. I've already got a couple of granite slab remnants that I will use for the countertops (countertop height in the back with a bar height shelf in front). I want to build a kegerator into it, but have some questions I couldn't find answers to searching the site.

1 - This is most likely going to be purchased by somebody who has kids (it is a school auction). I plan on having the tap tower on top of the bar, what is the best way of locking this to prevent kids from sneaking a cold one when the parents are not home? Locking fridge with a disconnect inside?

2 - in building the two level bar, would it be better to have the tower on the bar height front, or the counter height rear?

3 - I've seen lots of instructions for building the kegerator and mounting the tower to the top of the fridge. I'm assuming it's as simple as running longer lines if I'm mounting the tower on the bar instead? Obviously the lines would need to be insulated.

4 - Should I plan to have two mini-fridges in the setup, one for the kegs and one for other cold drinks?

5 - Would you recommend going with a dual-corny keg system over a standard keg system? I haven't seen any microfridges that fit a full keg, and I'm thinking that for a home system having the smaller kegs would be better to prevent beer from sitting for a long time?

6 - Are there any recommendations for hardware for outside? Not knowing who this will be bought by I have no idea if it will be under cover.

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll have many more questions as the project progresses.

-Steve

Hi Steve. Here are my recommendations.

1. They make tap locks for these cases. Some styles are better than others so read reviews online if possible. I've never used them so can't comment much on them.

2. I would put the tower a the counter height as most people would be standing behind the bar to pour. Also, less length of lines for the beer to travel through.

3. Should be just as simple. If possible, I'd recommend connecting the fridge and the bottom of the draught tower with PVC and installing a small fan to circulate air instead of insulation to help prevent foaming. If not, insulation should do. Drilling through the granite will be your biggest challenge.

4. Depends on #5.

5. The winner will likely not be a homebrewer so you'd probably want to set this up for an 8 gallon sankey-style keg. It would be pretty difficult to find commercial beers available in 5 gallon corny keys. With that said, if you plan to do a second fridge for soda, then you'll need to be sure to get the proper connections. Also note that unless the fridge was made to be a kegerator, it will likely require some "modification" of the freezer area to fit a corny keg or run lines out the top.

6. Use as much stainless as possible. Chances are the draft tower will be chrome. Stay away from brass as that will tarnish quickly in the elements.

I would consider buying a "ready made" kegerator, or finding one that will definitely fit a full commercial keg, otherwise specify that it is designed for the smaller commercial kegs. I would add a second fridge, since they will likely want other stuff out there too.

Latest posts

Back