The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a sad visit to Strange Brew ("Now Even Stranger"), commiserated with Bill The Brewer while he filled a pair of cylinders for me, walked the aisles to see if there was literally anything I needed (nope), then said good bye for probably the last time.

Ugh.

On a positive note, I drove over to Marlboro Fire Extinguisher, Inc. on Washington Street and visited the office ladies there. I posted the details but the short story is they do refills at competitive prices and they're only 15 minutes away from me...

Cheers!

Made a sad visit to Strange Brew ("Now Even Stranger"), commiserated with Bill The Brewer while he filled a pair of cylinders for me, walked the aisles to see if there was literally anything I needed (nope), then said good bye for probably the last time.

Ugh.

On a positive note, I drove over to Marlboro Fire Extinguisher, Inc. on Washington Street and visited the office ladies there. I posted the details but the short story is they do refills at competitive prices and they're only 15 minutes away from me...

Cheers!
Man, I hate it when they go. The northampton LHBS closed in 2018 after 42 years, there is a new one now and I hope they do well. As for CO2, I'd offer that you take a stroll west as I like my guy, and you could stop by for a pint, but it's 96 minutes away so Marlboro seems a better fit.

lol! My sons all went to The Zoo so I'm familiar with that drive.
If I ever head that far west again it'll be to the Swift River for some flyfishing :D

If the MFE thing works out wrt gas needs it'll actually be a win. Strange Brew's price is the same for a 5# fill, and when Brian stopped beer gas refills last year I ended up 40 miles away. The nitro was actually a great price, but at 18 mpg in the Durango that was still an expensive fill...

Cheers!

lol! My sons all went to The Zoo so I'm familiar with that drive.
If I ever head that far west again it'll be to the Swift River for some flyfishing :D

If the MFE thing works out wrt gas needs it'll actually be a win. Strange Brew's price is the same for a 5# fill, and when Brian stopped beer gas refills last year I ended up 40 miles away. The nitro was actually a great price, but at 18 mpg in the Durango that was still an expensive fill...

Cheers!
Sounds good. One if these days I’ll meet you at MassToberfest or something.

DT. If youre hardup for refills, I have a feeling I drive pretty close to your neighborhood on the days I work. I take the backroads of 85 from Bolton to Marlborough. I could loop thru stow and do a drop off. I'm up in Nashua alot. I hear there's average prices up there and Jasper's probably does refills. Let me know. Stow does seem to be a dead spot for gas. I use to see a lot of welding sites down in Marlborough too. Something to look into.

Obligatory "Real mature" response ;)

@TheDudeLebowski, thanks for the offer, but with the refills today and MFE (with beer gas!) only 15 minutes away I think I'll be in shape gas-wise.

Now, ingredients. I have a local connection to BSG that delivers full bags at near-wholesale prices, and I have almost 300 pounds of base malt on hand. So it's pretty much about specialty malts and yeast.

There's the Emporium outlet in Boylston, the other Emporium in Cambridge, and Jasper's up in Nausea, all on the small side, that are all well known to me. Then there's the place up in Woburn that I haven't been to in forever. https://www.beer-wine.com/
I should check them out again just to see how they're doing.

I really don't want to have to put the likes of morebeer.com in my scheduling...

Just go to Airgas and swap out CO2 tanks. There are a ton of them around. Or just look up “welding supplies”. There are a bunch of places to swap out tanks.

And if you’re going to say, “but I like my shiny tank and dont want to swap it out”... instead of typing all of that out, just punch yourself in the face.

I really don't want to have to put the likes of morebeer.com in my scheduling...

What's wrong with them? sounds like you schedule a lot of running around for supplies.

Just curious, I have no choice but to order from on line place and exchange tanks at airgas dealer(which is helpfully about 1/4 mile away, and I use other welding tanks too)

My once a year check in at The Matterhorn.

Crushed a HSA before this BBB Subby.

I love winter and Maine

IMG_0714.JPG

What's wrong with them? sounds like you schedule a lot of running around for supplies. [...]

I don't run around, but I do like having my options denoted, so I can at least call around to see if someone has what I need.
As for online ingredients - morebeer.com and the like - between delivered prices for the small specialty grain needs I might have, and the viability of liquid yeast when delivered (of which I've read numerous disappointing stories) I'd just assume get what I need local, when I need it. As base grains are a non-issue, that's pretty much all I need...well, that plus gas :) but I think I've got that covered.

On that count...what I should do is get a 50 pound siphon tank and a fill hose and put an end to the small insanities of 5 pound refills...

Cheers!

I don't run around, but I do like having my options denoted, so I can at least call around to see if someone has what I need.
As for online ingredients - morebeer.com and the like - between delivered prices for the small specialty grain needs I might have, and the viability of liquid yeast when delivered (of which I've read numerous disappointing stories) I'd just assume get what I need local, when I need it. As base grains are a non-issue, that's pretty much all I need...well, that plus gas :) but I think I've got that covered.

On that count...what I should do is get a 50 pound siphon tank and a fill hose and put an end to the small insanities of 5 pound refills...

Cheers!

The 50# siphon tank idea is intriguing, they are kind of heavy, but one could get a tank dolly like for the torches, and they would last a few years. The 20#s are pretty manageable though, and having two negates the worry of running out at inconvenient time.

Reminds me when I used to wheel my oxy/acetylene rig around to oxygenate wort. I did eventually get a dedicated brewing O2 tank for cellar. Lazier, and more wealthy with age I guess.

As to morebeer, it's pretty easy to get to $60 and free shipping, but I get it with the yeast, shipped wet yeast has been less than 100% success, esp in warmer months. I'm pretty much resigned to Fermentis dry pitch products on that front, and they have worked well for me. If there were a LHBS, I'd be sure to use it. I'm sure there are other home brewers in this county, but I've yet to meet any of them.

More of a Green Grass county actually, esp if you count only the year 'rounders.

Drink wise, lots of "craft" beer types, not that there is much fresh, and the bud & nip bottle crew on way home from jobsites.

From what I hear, those vagaries are substantial, still, I'd go to the packy & try Cape's brew. Have not been there much since I started brewing, except for an occasional bottle of hard stuff.

Do the packys in 'merica deliver? I used to get a weekly delivery every Thursday, kept me from having to go over the drawbridge in summer traffic. The delivery gal gave me some grief when I ended my weekly order, claimed they would go out of business, but that is bull, there are so many worse alchys than me around here. Heck, I'm not even a house painter, those guys make some of the fishermen seem moderate.

Yup. We have 15 bbls in a fermenter right now.

I wanna throw up every time I walk by it but we do. It will be tap-room only and we do actually get a large number of requests for gluten free stuff... and we also have groups that cone in where one person just “isn’t into beer”... so... as much as I wanna throw my own feces at that fermenter, it makes sense to have one on tap.

OMG! “Spin”!!! I just caught that! That’s gold. It’s funny cuz years ago we said that on our website and then you just said it. That’s great.

I read a couple articles on the push pull dist model. Do breweries have to publicly document they're open for this or can it just be word of mouth/connection between establishments? Knowing the states laws I wouldn't be surprised that it had to be written.

My golf clubs restaurant/bar likes to think they're into craft brew. MBC to them is craft brew but I'd like to see more local nano support. They hold beer events but it's kind of sad. The previous pro was trying to change that but he left. Is it word of mouth?

You need a completely separate license (winery in Mass) for mead... and it also has fo be hard-walled off, separate operations.

Yeah, the whole wine v. beer licenses are odd at both the fed and state level.

You can make a braggot under your beer license though, right?

Meaderies can't use any malt at all, from my understanding, while breweries can use honey since the feds consider it an acceptable alternative to malt.

Latest posts

Back