The names of your kids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
OK, Cheese. You started it....Why do we choose the names we do for our chiddren?

I have two. My oldest, Chelsea Renee will be 14 in May. Chelsea means "Safe Harbor". I'm a great Joni Mitchell fan, so "Chelsea Morning" held a soft spot in my heart. Renee was the name of an absolutely ravishing female I went to high school with in the '70's.

My son, Benjamin Andrew, is 12. Benjamin is Hebrew for "Son of my right hand", and Andrew is just a cool name. We actually thought of Andrew Benjamin also.

Youse guys?

This is my oldest (Four). His name is David. Named for one of my most endeared Biblical figures, King David, meaning "beloved". He was the apple of God's eye!

4295-DSC01624.jpg

Here is my little guy (three). He is John F. Sullivan Jr. Not much explanation necessary with that one.

4295-DSC01643.jpg

Hey, are they good looking boys, or is it just me because I love them so much? I can tell you they didn't get it from me! I know everybody thinks their kids are beautiful, but we all know there are some fugley looking people out there.

Had to have the letter J.

in my family there is Jack, Jacquline, Jennifer, Gillian (yes I know), John, Julie so my daughter was called Jessica. Plus we liked the name. If we have a boy next it maybe be called Jack (had an uncle Jack and he was a nice man, just need to ask his wife and daughters first). No traditions in my family so I thought I would start one!

Two girls--Randi Marie (former SWMBO wanted that name for her first girl since she was a little girl, I guess) and Madeline. Everyone calls Madeline Maddi. We had two girl names picked out and chose Madeline when we saw her.

My oldest son's name is Trey, his sister is named Davyn, and their little brother is named Logan

Their agaes are 9, 3, 1

johnsma22 said:
This is my oldest (Four). His name is David. Named for one of my most endeared Biblical figures, King David, meaning "beloved". He was the apple of God's eye!

4295-DSC01624.jpg

Here is my little guy (three). He is John F. Sullivan Jr. Not much explanation necessary with that one.

4295-DSC01643.jpg

Hey, are they good looking boys, or is it just me because I love them so much? I can tell you they didn't get it from me! I know everybody thinks their kids are beautiful, but we all know there are some fugley looking people out there.
With those eyes, the ladies will be beating down the doors.

Corey - 10 - Depending on who you believe, either of Irish or Norse descent
Brandon - 6 - Irish descent, meaning either "lively" or "sword" again, depending on who you believe.

Brandon School Pic.jpg

Tailgating in style.JPG

Miles. I wanted to name him Brett, because I thought that Brett Barrett is a cool sounding name, but SWMBO disagreed with just about EVERY name I liked. Finally I came up with Miles because I was listening to Miles Davis one day, and he's about as cool as it gets.

We had decided that I'd get to name the kid if it was a boy and she'd get to name the girl. Originally she wanted Ciara as a girls name until I kept joking that her middle name would have to be "Onthemainstage". Now she wants Audrey is a girls name.

Of course, her womb is vacant right now so it's not an issue.

I have Morgan and Payton. We just went through names until we found ones we both liked. When we decided on Payton, I insisted on spelling it like Walter Payton. SWMBO agreed.

I liked the name Rain, Rayne or Reign and wanted to name one of the girls that. I finally talked SWMBO into using Rain as Payton's middle name.

The eldest is Ian Matthieu. It was 1996, and there weren't a whole lot of "Ians" around so my first SWMBO and I ran with it. Almost 11 years later, we run into other Ians all the time. I'm responsible for the spelling of his middle name. Got it out of a book I was reading and really dug it.

Youngest (3) Adam Joseph. Second SWMBO always wanted to name her son this so I didn't argue. I like it. It works well when he's terrorizing the household because I can really belt it out...

(yelling) Adam Jo-seph!!!!!
:D
Ize

Cheesefood said:
When I finish school we're going to start trying for Numero Dos. I finish at the end of July.

We've been kind of back and forth on when to have #2. We were kinda trying for a while (it's nice when the wife looks at you after dinner and reminds you - "it's an even-numbered night, see you upstairs at 9:00 ;)," but we're decided to hold off for a little while longer. Of course, last I heard she was a little late, so you never know...

We had a helluva time figuring out a boy's name last time (Cassie was shy during the ultrasound). If we have a girl next time, she'll likely be "Penelope".

the_bird said:
We've been kind of back and forth on when to have #2. We were kinda trying for a while (it's nice when the wife looks at you after dinner and reminds you - "it's an even-numbered night, see you upstairs at 9:00 ;)," but we're decided to hold off for a little while longer. Of course, last I heard she was a little late, so you never know...

We had a helluva time figuring out a boy's name last time (Cassie was shy during the ultrasound). If we have a girl next time, she'll likely be "Penelope".

Just a random factoid: Penelope, Oddyseus, Aggamemnon, and Helen are of the same era.

the_bird said:

We got super lucky with Miles. He goes to bed without a fight and he's super easy to take care of. His daycare teachers LOVE him and keep volunteering to babysit. One has even offered to watch him free of charge.

We'd love to think we'll be as lucky with Number 2, but who knows?

Cheesefood said:
We got super lucky with Miles. He goes to bed without a fight and he's super easy to take care of. His daycare teachers LOVE him and keep volunteering to babysit. One has even offered to watch him free of charge.

Cassie has been great in all ways except for sleeping. That's been an absolute bear for us at times. She goes down pretty easy, but won't stay down for more than four or five hours at a time, at most.

I'm also worried that #2 will be more lanky and gawky and needy and whiney like me. :D

Penelope and Helen seem perfectly acceptable, but if you name your kid Zeus or Hermes, it seems pretty ego-maniacal.

ETA: Penelope and Helen are beautiful names.

olllllo said:
Uh, yeah his name is Ulysses and he's going to be a tailback.

Ulysses is a kinda cool name, but I'm not sure the wife would go for it ;)

If it's Penelope, middle name might be Jane. SWMBO likes PJ as a nickname, I like "Penny Jane" ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
My 3 kids were born at different times of the year so I named them something appropriate for the season...Weizen, Pils and Bock!!!:drunk:

Damn! Wish I'd thought of that. I wasn't brewing when mine were born. That's why I've got kids named Bud ,Schaffer and Don't Feel Right.

Cheesefood said:

Don't count on it. Our first was so good, we never had to have child locks or gates on anything. We just told him not to go or touch and he listened. Sleeping was tough for the first couple of weeks, after that, he went down by himself and slept all night. The little guy...He was premature and has taken that fighting attitude to everything he does. He touches everything, breaks everything, does all the things you tell him not to do. If he was the first, he would have been the last.

Marcsora.. we were going to name him Marc Sora. But legally you can't give them middle names here so we just stuck the two together. Marc is my brother's name, Sora is 昊 meaning "summer sky" or "vast."

Mine are Michael Patrick 15 will be 16 in April and Bradley Ryan 14 going on 15. Wanted to name Brad, Michael Ryan but the SWMBO said we had enough Michael's. Both love to brew with and have become hopheads even though Patrick really likes my Russian Imperial Stout.

That is both of them on the right during one of my brew nights (that's my brew buddy kissing the MLT):
1332-P1010021.JPG

Hopfan said:
Don't count on it. Our first was so good, we never had to have child locks or gates on anything. We just told him not to go or touch and he listened. Sleeping was tough for the first couple of weeks, after that, he went down by himself and slept all night. The little guy...He was premature and has taken that fighting attitude to everything he does. He touches everything, breaks everything, does all the things you tell him not to do. If he was the first, he would have been the last.

Don't get me wrong - Miles has a devilish side. He'll get in position to do something naughty - like stand by the stairs (since he's not allowed to climb them unless we tell him to) and he'll look right at us. When we tell him "no", he'll get a devilish grin and start climbing them. He does all sorts of stuff like that - he knows he's not supposed to, but he'll do it anyways.

When he's eating and doesn't like something, he'll "accidentally" drop it on the floor. Problem is that he's a horrible actor and it's so obvious, even when he follows it up with "Uh-Oh" (which is the only thing he knows how to say).

I have two sons, Keelan on the left and Jack on the right. Jack was my dad's name, Keelan is a name my wife fell in love with, it is an Irish sir name and means slim or small. He is slim, but he is by no means small.

boyschristmas2007.jpg

Brewiz said:
Both love to brew with and have become hopheads even though Patrick really likes my Russian Imperial Stout.

That is both of them on the right during one of my brew nights (that's my brew buddy kissing the MLT):
1332-P1010021.JPG

Brewing a NA beer I assume.

Back