12" Wide 7.5 gal Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfrog5

Reaction score
I see that Bayou turkey fryers include a 7.5 gal kettle that is 12" wide. Are others (thicker stainless, or overall cheaper) available anywhere? I cannot find 6+ gallon pots that are narrower than 13+ inches.

Thanks
Aaron

Because I am looking for the same.

The closest thing I have seen is this 9.2 from conical-fermenter.com but a little more than what i was hoping to spend right now. May very well be what I end up with though.

Generally I've found those larger pot sizes to be really wide. SS tending to be wider than a comparable Al for some reason. No idea why. But if you looking for something that's 12" wide, larger than 4-5 Gal, I doubt you'll find it.

Those dimensions are pretty counterproductive to most of the cooking world, you usually want as much heat transfer as possible, tall and skinny is terribly inefficient from a cooks perspective... to heat the whole column to a boil you are going to scorch the living daylights out of the bottom unless you have an intern to sit there constantly stirring the pot.

This is from the POV of a chef, not a brewer, I am sure there are great reasons to have one, just pointing out why they don't really exist.

070718-asparagus-pot.jpg

this is the exception to the rule, but I don't know a single self respecting chef that owns one!

Is there any benefit to the brewer in having a tall, narrow kettle? I've just bought a 10gal kettle - plan to use it Sunday. It's short and wide (like the author), so I'm curious if there's any down-side.

Latest posts

Back