Converting All grain to partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrg

Reaction score
I'm looking for a little help with converting Lil Sparky's Oatmeal Stout receipt to a partial mash. This will be my first attempt at a partial mash so any extra advice is welcome. Here is the receipt I will be using:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.0
IBU: 30
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 1.014
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 68'

This is a simple, but great oatmeal stout recipe. One of my favorites!

Beer Profile
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Color: 27.4 SRM (22.0-45.0 SRM) [Color]
Bitterness: 30.0 IBU (25.0-45.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.7 %
Actual Calories: 215 cal/pint

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 72.0 %
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.0 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.0 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20%] (60 min) Hops 30.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Profile
Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Mash Grain Weight: 12.50 lb
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.74 gal

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 165.3 F 153.0 F 30 min

Right now I'm just wondering what ingredients I should get so that I can go ahead and order them. I'm going to build a partial mash mash tun from the instructions here.

thanks for any and all help.

peace
-gw

So my ingredients should look like:

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 72.0 %
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.0 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.0 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
4.00 lb DME or 5.00 lb LME
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20%] (60 min) Hops 30.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

then after the partial mash I'll have the liquid from my mash in my stock pot and then add in the extract and boil for 30 min?

peace
-gw

your partial mash should be 1.25 quarts per pound of grain.
steep that at 155*F for 30-60 minutes, then strain the water into the brew pot.
sparge with 170*F water
fill your brew pot to whatever you are boiling at.

THEN add your extract and start your boil ;)

hmmm, only 1 hop addition.

if you're not boiling a full 5 - 6 gallons of wort (meaning you have to top off to 5 gallons in the fermenter) then I'd suggest you boil just the mashed wort for 30-40 minutes, and add the malt extract at 20 minutes left in the boil, so you get full hop utilization.

i've got a 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket, and I don't think this calls for secondary, just 14 days in primary (if I'm correct in reading the instructions) if this was the case, should I boil just the mashed wort, or go ahead and get it right up to 5 gallons? I would think I would just boil the mashed wort, so that there will be less liquid to cool, but I'm still pretty new to this. ideas? Thanks for the help!!

peace
-gw

yes, you can do that, but you're going to have less than 2 gallons of water with your wort. i'd want my boil to be a little higher than that, so just add a little extra water to your mashed wort, to maybe 2.5 gallons, THEN boil, THEN top off to 5 gallons.

Quick question. When I'm replacing the 7lbs of 2-row with my malt extract (either liquid or dry) what kind of extract should I replace it with. just any 2-row DME? Right now I'm looking at ordering my stuff from northerbrewer.com and I'm looking specificaly at this page here for my malt extract:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/malt-extract.html

and from there looking under Briess DME, but I'm still not sure which one to get. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: also, does anyone have a recommendation of another place to order all these ingredients from? Thanks!

peace
-gw

you could go dark, or you could get munton's light. you'll get good color from the grains being mashed.

austinhomebrew.com midwestsupplies.com and morebeer.com each have good reputations among online sites.

Latest posts

Back