flanders red ale questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi!

the winter is coming and in my winery the cold is arriving!

during the winter in the basement the temp will be 50/55 F.

i have to put the fermenter with the flanders in the house or i can leave the beer in the winery? in the house i have rooms at 60/70 F

I'm not super experienced with sours (meaning I may not have all the variables, I've been brewing them like mad for a little bit), but logically the very cold temp will slow the progression of your sour but not do any other damage. I would think 60 or 70 would be better if you don't want the winter to cause a delay in souring.

nico, how does it smell? and have you taken a taste?

it smell like the other carboy! no difference between the two.
no i haven't tasted it because i'm not able to remove a sample without introduce a lot of oxygen, i tried to remove this pellicle but it destroyed into small parts, one parts remained attached on the ladle and i tasted it, it wasn't acid

but it looks like vinegar mother and i can't think other bugs that do this type of pellicle right?

it smell like the other carboy! no difference between the two.
no i haven't tasted it because i'm not able to remove a sample without introduce a lot of oxygen, i tried to remove this pellicle but it destroyed into small parts, one parts remained attached on the ladle and i tasted it, it wasn't acid

but it looks like vinegar mother and i can't think other bugs that do this type of pellicle right?
if it doesn't smell like vinegar, and the sample doesn't taste like vinegar, then you probably don't have an aceto infection.

pedio can create something like this. if it is pedio, you should soon get a strong taste of butter (diacetyl). if that happens you will need to add some brett to clean that up.

if it doesn't smell like vinegar, and the sample doesn't taste like vinegar, then you probably don't have an aceto infection.

pedio can create something like this. if it is pedio, you should soon get a strong taste of butter (diacetyl). if that happens you will need to add some brett to clean that up.

i took a sample right now, no it doesn't taste like vinegar!

i took a gravity reading and it is dropped down to 1012, (previously it was 1014)

there is a hint of acidity but is still to low for the style, but i can't say if it is lactic acid or acetic acid, is too low!

at this point I think there is hope that they Pedio!

thanks a lot for your help, i was in paranoid:eek::mug::mug:

i'll kep you up to date!:mug:

loking on the internet i found this

https://docs.google.com/presentatio..._O9o8bLZJgn9PB5TnAwXSbw5uTE/edit#slide=id.i56

"Pediococcus produces a slimy elastic thread like consistency if the conditions are just right. Belgian brewers call this being “sick”, the technical term is “ropy”.
This slimy substance is harmless. It is composed of carbohydrates, acids, and proteins, and plays an important role in Lambic and Russian River funkified beers."

this confirms what you said :)

one year and one month:

no acidity change (a hint! to low!) and no gravity change.

we will see in mid 2016 if something change!

19 month old

no gravity change, now there is acidity!

but it seems acetic acid more than lactic, it's this normal for this yeast?

but it seems acetic acid more than lactic, it's this normal for this yeast?
no, Roesalare should only lactic... although brett, which Roe contains, can supposedly create acetic in the presence of a lot of oxygen. and if you have oxygen in there, you might also have acetobacter that is creating vinegar (i believe we went through this earlier in this thread :))

i forget... what are you aging in? how much headspace is there above the beer?

no, Roesalare should only lactic... although brett, which Roe contains, can supposedly create acetic in the presence of a lot of oxygen. and if you have oxygen in there, you might also have acetobacter that is creating vinegar (i believe we went through this earlier in this thread :))

i forget... what are you aging in? how much headspace is there above the beer?

i'm aging it in two glass carboy (4-4/5 gallon i don't know exactly, there is a 1-1/2 gal of head space!
the carboy are closed with a plastic cap, I put on the cap two layers of plastic food but i'm starting to think that is too permeable to oxygen! today i added a aluminum foil

now taste good, maybe i can bottle now to reduce the oxygen intake or is to early?

what kind of a plastic cap? if it looks like this, then that might be the problem... those caps aren't air-tight. plastic wrap is a good idea, could help depending how it's applied, but it's not a replacement for a proper seal in the first place. aluminim foil isn't going to do anything.

if it tasted good after 19 months, i'd go ahead and bottle.

it's like this:

http://www.damistore.it/media/produ...er-damigiana-lt-5-in-pvc-44-mm-100-pz-80a.jpg
i always wrapped it with plastic but i'm starting to think that is not enough!

so, i'm going to bottle in the next two weeks (after exams)! but first i have to re-read how to calculate carbonation sugar considering the loss of co2 due the long time in the carboy!

i also forgot that i have also 2 gallon in a barrel but i think after 19 month in a barrel small like that is became vinegar!

bottled yesterday! I made huge mistake spreading beer everywhere! i'm not used to bottle from a carboy, i always bottle from plastic bucket with a tap! i clean everything and put in the garbage plastic one! i hope to be able to avoid cross contamination with the next brew! now i moved it into the vinery and i'll let it rest in peace for some times, i'll update the thread with the impression of the first taste

thanks everybody for the help!

Glad everything turned out well. My recommendation would be to use a bottling bucket in the future for bottling sours as well as for your clean beer. I brew a fair amount of sours and it was worth the investment to have another one around.

Here we go! Good beer, moderate acid, well balanced by the malt, I'm happy with this brew!

IMG_20160714_121314.jpg

IMG_20160714_121305.jpg

Nice! I fermented mine with Roselare and it sat in the primary for 4 months. I then racked to a secondary, brewed a new batch and collected it on the yeast cake in the primary. In a few months, this second batch will be more sour than the first and ready to blend with the first.

@Nico93: Wow, it doesn't fall out when you hold it horizontally!

That's how you know it's ready. I've spilled nearly half a gallon of mine over the last few months, and it still won't do this.

That's because I live in Italy, I'm not in the opposite part of the world (where the live upside down) but I'm half way so we live horizontally :D

My experience with most sour yeast/bacteria blends is that they don't sour enough on the first generation. I recommend drinking the first one young, or at least transferring it early and get a second generation going asap. Also Roeselare is kinda bland and one dimensional on it's own. Definitely add bottle dregs and other organisms if you can. That will definitely make for a more interesting brew.

Latest posts

Back