Monster mill or barley crusher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely love my MM2

It plows through whatever I throw at it and has never had a single hiccup.

Good to know! Did your efficiency change when you started milling your own grains?

Sold my barley crusher. Bought a crankenstein. There is no comparison

Got a Rebel Mills Grain Crusher from Rebel Brewing in Tennessee. Unbelievable mill. Solid as a rock.

Sold my Barley Crusher (last year) and got a Monster Mill MM2-2.0... Beats the snot out of a BC and has longer (and larger diameter) rollers than a C&S... GREAT customer support from Monster Mill too. Both pre-sales and post-sales...

When the MM2-2.0 is going I swear I could feed it a person and it would just run right through it. :eek:

Something else to think about... Base and hopper... I got the base, hopper, and hopper extension at the same time as the MM2-2.0... No worries using the base, and the hopper (fully assembled) will hold up to 39# of grain. Since I've already had recipes with almost 29# to them, this was a great investment (for me). The hopper from Monster goes together with included screws and locknuts. Super easy to assemble. Plus, it's heavy gauge metal.

I was sold just on the hopper alone for the MM...I actually bought both to compare and get a closer look at each. Needless to say the BC went back..

Do you guys change the settings to adjust the perfect crush? I'm not very savvy with these types of things!

Get yourself a set of feeler gauges so that you can adjust/set the gap on the mill. I'm using a tight .039" gap right now (probable closer to .038") and getting solid results.

Last edited by a moderator:
although i've never used nor seen a monster mill, i've done two batches thus far using my barley crusher with its 15 lbs hopper. i have absolutely zero complaints and am completely satisfied with this product. it has raised my efficiency 15-20%, but i can imagine all mills will have a similar effect.

great customer service as well.

Just got a MM 2.0 (version 1), stainless rollers (I'll likely want to play with wet milling again) with the base and hopper. Frankly, I'm not sure I'm ever going to wear this thing out. The thing is build like a damn tank, solid as a rock, eats grain like it's laughing at you, and the hopper is thick and sturdy. I haven't interacted with customer support but all I hear is great reviews. Out of the gates with the recommended settings I got 70% eff. (my target) on the nose with a nice looking crush.

I was sold just on the hopper alone for the MM...I actually bought both to compare and get a closer look at each. Needless to say the BC went back..

Cant believe I didnt mention this. The MM hoppers are pretty darn sweet. The base is also nice.

Hmm, looks like the barley crusher is good for someone who wants a fully assembled ready to go mill...and the Monster Mill for someone that wants to build their own? Or is there really a big difference in quality of the crush between these 2 units?

I may buy one soon and don't want to spend a ton of money to get a good one.

I have a MM3 (non-2.0) and and completely satisfied. I set the gap to 0.39 and have been getting very consistent efficiency.

I had a grain gobbler from Morebeer before that and it just wasn't up to the task.

Hmm, looks like the barley crusher is good for someone who wants a fully assembled ready to go mill...and the Monster Mill for someone that wants to build their own? Or is there really a big difference in quality of the crush between these 2 units?

The BC is OK if you don't mind shorter rollers with a smaller diameter. The two hopper options from BC are 7# and 15#. The Monster Mill has two hopper options too, but you can add the second to the first later (NOT an option with the BC). The initial hopper from Monster will hold 11# with the extension pushing that to 39#.

When I was originally looking to get a mill, only the 7# hopper BC was available (in stock so it would arrive in time). Initially it was OK, being refilled a couple/few times for each batch. That soon grew annoying, especially if I wanted to brew something with a larger grain bill. Plus the shorter rollers took longer to crush the grain. The larger diameter of the rollers even on the regular Monster mills is better. With the MM2-2.0 and its 2" diameter rollers, its even better still. Having rollers that are 6" long is also better then the 4" rollers on the BC.

If I was in the position to do it all again, I would not get the BC, but go right to the Monster Mill product.

For me it was the BC stopping the crush. It would just sort of freewheel after awhile in the middle of spinning the crank. I have never had that issue with my MM3, or my MM2, or my other MM3 (well a Crankandstein before they split ways.)

This is good to know, thank you. So what would I need to know when ordering an MM2 or MM3? It looks like you have to piece it together and I would like to make sure I get everything I need the first time since my LHBS only sells the BC.

I am getting into BIAB and I need a grain mill. The MM2 looks enticing but at $254 including shipping it's a hefty cost.That includes all the options on their website.

Can these mills be hooked up to a cordless drill? I have an impact and a standard variable speed drill at my disposal as well.

This is good to know, thank you. So what would I need to know when ordering an MM2 or MM3? It looks like you have to piece it together and I would like to make sure I get everything I need the first time since my LHBS only sells the BC.

I would just send an email to Monster and ask directly. I would also order direct from them (I did that, no issues at all, plus fast turnaround time). You'll only need a single wrench to connect the hopper to the mill, and the mill to the base. To assemble the hopper you'll only need a phillips head screwdriver and either a small wrench, or pair of pliers. I would put the hopper together with all the screws not tightened all the way so that you can wrench them down properly (and have less issues putting it together). I put the nuts on the outside of the hopper, so that there's less things for grain to grab onto. That actually works much better than the BC hopper.

I am getting into BIAB and I need a grain mill. The MM2 looks enticing but at $254 including shipping it's a hefty cost.That includes all the options on their website.

Can these mills be hooked up to a cordless drill? I have an impact and a standard variable speed drill at my disposal as well.

I use my 18V DeWalt cordless hammer drill to run mine. Put it on the lowest speed setting and turn it at/under 200-250 rpm. I use the handle on the drill too (the add-on) for extra leverage since it can torque around on you. With the 1/2" shaft on the MM2-2.0 I'm glad I got the drill I have.

BTW, I can easily mill 30-40# of grain with a fully charged battery.

The MM2 (standard 1.5" dia. steel rollers) is $160 + shipping at Farmhouse Brewing. This price includes the base and standard hopper, and is currently in stock (according to their website). I bought mine from them a couple months back and the price with shipping was $172.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=319

I used a BC at my LHBS before purchasing my MM2 and it was a total POS. Flimsy hopper, rollers constantly losing traction, and the gap setting would not stay put. Really soured me on the BC. Of course, the thing probably had a gazillion pounds of grain run through it over the years, but I wasn't all too impressed, which is why I opted for the Monster. I couldn't be happier. It's a beast!!!

Happy with my BC

Me, too.
grain_mill_station_01_sm.jpg

Cheers!

The MM2 (standard 1.5" dia. steel rollers) is $160 + shipping at Farmhouse Brewing. This price includes the base and standard hopper, and is currently in stock (according to their website). I bought mine from them a couple months back and the price with shipping was $172.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=319

I used a BC at my LHBS before purchasing my MM2 and it was a total POS. Flimsy hopper, rollers constantly losing traction, and the gap setting would not stay put. Really soured me on the BC. Of course, the thing probably had a gazillion pounds of grain run through it over the years, but I wasn't all too impressed, which is why I opted for the Monster. I couldn't be happier. It's a beast!!!

Doesn't look like the base and hopper are included in that price according to the description. So what are we talkin, ~$130 for the BC or ~$250 for the MM? Pretty big price difference. Sounds like the quality is superior though from feedback on this thread.

Wreck99 said:
Doesn't look like the base and hopper are included in that price according to the description. So what are we talkin, ~$130 for the BC or ~$250 for the MM? Pretty big price difference. Sounds like the quality is superior though from feedback on this thread.

Yes it does come with the hopper and base. They could do a better job making that more clear though.

Monster Mill 2-Roller Mill
Monster Mill 2-roller mill. This mill comes with a 3/8" shaft and includes the base and hopper!

Our Price : $159.99 ea
http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=76

Yes it does come with the hopper and base. They could do a better job making that more clear though.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=76

Ok cool. I didn't catch that in the last link. So, whats the big difference between MM2 and MM3 to those who use them. Does that 3rd roller make a huge difference? Just curious. I'm sure both are great. Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure whatever I get will last. I'd hate to buy something and realize there was better to only replace it after a few uses.

Wreck99 said:
Ok cool. I didn't catch that in the last link. So, whats the big difference between MM2 and MM3 to those who use them. Does that 3rd roller make a huge difference? Just curious. I'm sure both are great. Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure whatever I get will last. I'd hate to buy something and realize there was better to only replace it after a few uses.

I bought the MM2 a few months ago and from the feel of it my grandchildren will be using it long after I'm gone. I love a well-made machine.

I have a barley crusher, been using it for about one year now, no problems so far. Mind you I mill by hand so its gently used.

I mill by hand not because I don't own a power drill, but because I like the extra exercise.

My brew day 'exercise' is limited to one arm curls... :D When you routinely mill 14-30 pounds of grain hand cranking isn't much of an option. Well, unless you actually want to extend out your brew day that much. :eek:

I have a BC and have no issues at all with it - great BrewHouse Efficiency every time. I have put roughly 200lbs of grain through it - so it is still relatively new but not a single issue. I looked at the decked out MM3-2.0 and the cost was $460.00 including shipping, SS rollers, hopper/base and hopper extension. I figured I'd try the 15lb BC for $150 first... I can wear out THREE of them before I pay for one MM3.

I have milled up 15lbs one time for a IIPA. Only took about 20 minutes, which I was also bring the mash water up to temp. I mill with fury.

10lbs is pretty common for most of my grain bills, and that usually takes about 10 minutes depending on how much energy I have.

I have milled up 15lbs one time for a IIPA. Only took about 20 minutes, which I was also bring the mash water up to temp. I mill with fury.

10lbs is pretty common for most of my grain bills, and that usually takes about 10 minutes depending on how much energy I have.

I can go through 15# in maybe 3 minutes...

I brew to relax, so using power tools to make it easier just makes sense.

Back