Priming Sugar Measurement Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Okay, I'm about to bottle my Illuminati IPA, so I ran over to the LHBS to get some dextrose. Unfortunately, they were out of the little 5oz bags, so I went ahead and bought a big 4lb bag.

The problem is, I don't have any scale that can measure in ounces (if only I dealt drugs! ;)) and I don't know the volume to weight equivalency of dextrose. I know that I need about 1/13 of the entire bag, but there's no easy way to estimate that. I can tell that the entire bag is perhaps a little more than two quarts in volume, and supposedly, if you were doing bottling the REALLY difficult way, you'd use one teaspoon per bottle. Is that right?

Based on all these half bits of information, I think I'd need somewhere between 6-9 fluid ounces of priming sugar. If anyone knows where I can find a conversion program, or just knows the correct amount, I'd appreciate it.

Depending on the style of beer, I just use 2/3 to 3/4 of a cup, boiled in a 1/2 cup of water, per 23L (6 gallon) batch. I mostly brew English ales (IPAs, bitters, browns, porters, etc.).

Back