"Bayou Classic" Mash/Lauter tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyohill

Reaction score
Bayou Classic 32 Quart Tamale Pot

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an all grain setup and I was wondering about using the aluminum "Bayou Classic" from the OutdoorCooking equipment site.

A fella could install a bulkhead fitting and ball valve below the "steamer" plate. Fit a piece of stainless screen or other mesh over the plate and use as a stovetop mash/lauter tun. If you watched your flow closely would you be able to avoid stuck mashes? Or is that just too much volume below the false bottom?

I originally posted this in the "Sticky" Aluminum thread but had generated no responses. I've been doing partial mash/boils for a year and am looking to upgrade to all grain soon. Being able to brew in my kitchen is important and was the major reason for the idea of converting a pot to a mash/lauter tun. If a manifold system is better that's the way I'll go. Is the bayou classic at all do-able?

Thanks, Davey O'

It's certainly doable, but it won't be nearly as easy as you describe. I would go with a cooler conversion before I tried to make that kettle work. There's a little more involved than first meets the eye. Direct firing a mash tun doesn't work all that well either unless you recirc either manually or with a pump.

Plus it is too small for all that work. Like Cat says, you are much better off for less effort with a 10G cooler.

Back