Would You Guys Review My Recipe For Me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis1979

Reaction score
Heretofore I have been using recipes developed by others but on my next brew I am thinking about using a recipe I put together myself. I have no problem using other people’s recipes, it’s just that, while they all are good, I have a flavor I’m looking for and I am at the point where I think I can begin to experiment a little.

I’m shooting for a German pilsner kind of a thing with a little sweetness and aroma like you might find in Grolsch or Stella Artois or other Dutch varieties. I’m not sure how else to describe what I want.

I’m a little apprehensive about trying this without at least some input from those of you who have been doing this a lot longer than me. So if you don’t mind taking a look at the recipe and tell me if you see anything that seems glaringly wrong or anything you would add or subtract. I would appreciate any and all input.

This is an extract with grain recipe and a 5 gallon batch. I was thinking I would try and ferment it as cold as I can. If I’m lucky I can keep it at 55° to 60° but it will be a lot of work as I have no mechanical means to do that, only ice in a swamp cooler.

5 # Light Malt Extract
2.5 # German Pilsner Malt
¼ # German Light Crystal Malt
¼ # German Munich Malt
¼ # CaraPils (for head retention)

1 oz. Northern Brewer Hops(bittering) 60 minutes
½ oz. Hallertau Hersbruck (flavoring) 15 minutes
½ oz. Czech Saazhops (finishing) 5 minutes
½ oz. Czech Saazhops (finishing) 0 minutes

1 oz Irish Moss (added to boil with Hersbruck hops)

Wyeast #1007 German Ale Yeast

O.G. 1.042
F.G. 1.011
IBU 35
ABV 4%
SRM 3

Thanks,
Dennis

Is this intended to be a partial mash recipe? I'm guessing no. You may want to drop the pilsner malt and maybe go with CaraMunich or CaraVienne instead of the Munich considering those should be mashed.

Is this intended to be a partial mash recipe? I'm guessing no. You may want to drop the pilsner malt and maybe go with CaraMunich or CaraVienne instead of the Munich considering those should be mashed.

I guess it would be called steeping but kind of like a partial mash.

I've used those grains in the past. I have to keep the temperature constant during the steep. I use iodine to test to see the starches are converted.

the only thing i would consider changing is the yeast. i'm sure it'll come out well with the german ale yeast, but kolsch yeast might get you closer to a pilsner like taste.

If you're using grains that are unconverted (the munich and pilsner), and steeping them at a temperature that causes conversion then you are mashing. So it is a partial mash by your ingredients and process.

That's about all the input I have, I'm still learning the whole recipe building thing myself.

If you're using grains that are unconverted (the munich and pilsner), and steeping them at a temperature that causes conversion then you are mashing. So it is a partial mash by your ingredients and process.

That's about all the input I have, I'm still learning the whole recipe building thing myself.

Yes, I guess I never really paid attention to the terminology. I have always done it this way since first brew. Shown to me by another brewer.

I know what you mean about learning. For me the term "Learning" is a polite way of saying "stumbling around figuring out everything the hard way".

Thanks,
Dennis

the only thing i would consider changing is the yeast. i'm sure it'll come out well with the german ale yeast, but kolsch yeast might get you closer to a pilsner like taste.

Good point. I like Wyeast products and I know they have Kolsch yeast. I may give that a try instead. Here is an issue. I made a batch of Kolsch a few months back and it has an extrodinarily high amount of loose sediment. Unlike my other brews I have to leave a lot of my kolsch in the bottle as the sediment gets mixed in so easily. Is that something attributable to kolsch yeast?

Back