Hopbursting and bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertroll

Reaction score
I just tapped a hopbursted IPA I made recently. SG 1.058, FG 1.005, 59 IBUs, with Galaxy, Pacific Jade, and Pacifica hops. Hop additions were at 15, 5, flameout, and dry hop. It's really, really tasty, but the bitterness is smooth to the point of nonexistence. I expected that to some extent, but I was surprised at how extreme it is. On paper, it should be a pretty bitter beer (just shy of a 1:1 ratio), but in practice it's more like a very mellow pale ale. My wife actually liked it, and she hates IPAs with a passion.

Anyway, I love the flavor I get with hopbursting, and I'm working on a recipe for a DIPA using the technique. I realize I can push the ratio quite a bit harder and still get a good beer. I just don't want to overshoot and produce an undrinkably bitter DIPA, especially if I'm using over a pound of hops in a 5 gallon batch ($$$). Has anyone worked out a rough equivalence metric for hopbursted bitterness, similar to the way we assume FWH bitterness to comparable to a 20 minute addition?

I just tapped a hopbursted IPA I made recently. SG 1.058, FG 1.005, 59 IBUs, with Galaxy, Pacific Jade, and Pacifica hops. Hop additions were at 15, 5, flameout, and dry hop. It's really, really tasty, but the bitterness is smooth to the point of nonexistence. I expected that to some extent, but I was surprised at how extreme it is. On paper, it should be a pretty bitter beer (just shy of a 1:1 ratio), but in practice it's more like a very mellow pale ale. My wife actually liked it, and she hates IPAs with a passion.

Anyway, I love the flavor I get with hopbursting, and I'm working on a recipe for a DIPA using the technique. I realize I can push the ratio quite a bit harder and still get a good beer. I just don't want to overshoot and produce an undrinkably bitter DIPA, especially if I'm using over a pound of hops in a 5 gallon batch ($$$). Has anyone worked out a rough equivalence metric for hopbursted bitterness, similar to the way we assume FWH bitterness to comparable to a 20 minute addition?

I do a ton of hopbursting but never completely did away w the bittering addition. I can't imagine a dipa without at least an ounce of high alpha hops boiled a full 60 minutes. Calculated out I've brewed a number of big ipas that should have been well over 200 ibus. All were drinkable... great actually... and some of them pushed a pound of hops. My advice... hopburst as planned but use at least an ounce of clean bittering hops and boil it for at least 60 min or you may end up with an overly sweet beer.

if you're growing your own hops, which are often primarily used for flavor and aroma, then it wouldn't be too bad...

My aunt has some cascade plants that are making a break for her roofline. I can't wait until harvest time. Her centennials are doing nicely as well. Sadly, my northern brewers are in their second year and still haven't cracked 2 feet. My soil is terrible and most of the full sun spots in my yard have been claimed by my wife for her plants.

I'm lucky... my lhbs has the common c hops in many American ipas for 1.25 to 1.50 an ounce. $20 for hops and $25 for ingredients and I have over 2 cases of dipa that I'd put up against just about any on the market

Back