Several Firsts - All Grain, Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale Qs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbiker278

Reaction score
Hello all!

I wanted to get some feedback on my next brew I'm planning. I recently purchased a 15gal brewpot to start in my All-grain endeavors. For this first run I'm planning on doing a BIAB (that's brew-in-a-bag) session. The recipe I'm planning on using is Cheesefood's for the Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale. I'm doing a 5gal batch initially, and will modify accordingly to my taste for the second round.

Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale:
7lbs 2-row Mash at ~153F for 90min (this is my mashing plan)
3lbs wheat malt (Grains double milled same setting for BIAB)
1lb Caramel 60L

1oz Cascade 60 min
0.5oz Saaz 20min
0.5oz Tettnang 5 min

8oz Lactose (1/2 primary, 1/2 bottling)
8oz Vanilla Extract(1/2 primary, 1/2 bottling)

Wyeast German Ale 1007 (I'll be using Safale S-05 unless I can get my hands on the preferred yeast, other recommendations welcome)

I punched this info into Beersmith and I got something like 1.060 OG, 1.012 FG, ~6% ABV, 24 IBUs, and ~10 SRMs

The notes and reviews of this beer said it turned out a bit on the hoppy end. It also seems like a lot of Lactose and vanilla, but I'm not sure if this was to balance out the hops.

Now for the questions:
1)After this first test batch I want to make sure that I have a smooth yet medium mouth-feel. I've seen in other traditional cream ales that people use flaked maize, but it usually results in the "corn flavor". I'm wondering if instant oatmeal (like an oatmeal stout) would produce a similar mouth-feel minus the corn flavor?

2) The recipe calls for lactose to sweeten the beer. Would Malto-dextrin help give both sweetness and fill-in the body without having to add maize, oatmeal, or lactose?

3)I've also read that some people like to use vanilla beans instead of extract, but what's a good coorelation to the amount of bean vs extract volume?

I'm planning on having this as a summer beer that I'm bringing to OBX at the end of May. Ideally this would be smooth and refreshing with slight sweetness and hints of vanilla (IE not cream soda). Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

to the top again, I'm planning on brewing this before the end of the week. Some input would be great!

Zombie thread back from the DEAD!!!!

I did end up making this BIAB. However I omitted the lactose, and only used 4oz of vanilla. In hindsight I probbaly would only use 2oz tops cause it turns out way to sweet otherwise for my taste. Best this to do is taste it first and add a little at a time. It's definitely an easier beer on the pallet for non-beer drinkers.

Good luck!

Adding the lactose would have been too sweet for my taste. Same with the 8oz of vanilla. Using the higher mash temp and just 2oz of vanilla I got the flavor I was looking for. Feel free to add however much you want. I'd recommend doing it stepwise in the bottling bucket or keg and tasting after each addition.

Back