Strawberry Chocolate Mead (experiment)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxMan

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

First of all, I'd like to state that this forum is an incredible resource, and full of some great information. Many thanks and kudos to those who have experimented and done multiple tests before me. Also, thanks everybody for being so helpful in general.

That said, I'm about to start my 4th (I know, not much at all) batch here, and I am really interested in a Strawberry Chocolate mead (or is it Chocolate Strawberry?) Not trying to clutter up the forum here, just thought I'd share in my adventures.

So, a few questions. First, I'm thinking about just adapting a previous recipe that I've found around here for a chocolate mead. I'm thinking either #35 from this thread, or the liquid sex chocolate mead I've found in multiple places, including here.

I'm leaning more towards the latter, and here's what I'm thinking.

Primary for 1 month:
3 lbs honey
3 oz unsweetened cocoa powder
1 - 1.5 lbs strawberries
water to 1 gallon
lalvin d47

Secondary for 1-2 months:
Rack over
.5 lb honey
1 lb strawberries
1/4 - 1/2 vanilla bean (possibly in a bag, so I can remove it if the vanilla starts smelling too strong)

Third-ary? for as long as it takes, back sweeten with honey / juice to taste.

I know I'm not really trying anything crazy with it, just adding vanilla and strawberries. I know it'll take a long freaking time until it's totally ready, but I plan on having enough to keep me busy in the mean time whilst I wait.

I'm planning on shooting for something around 9 - 11% ABV, nothing with too strong of an alcohol taste so it'll go down smooth.

I've already got the stuff to make it here at home, so I'm probably going to whip it up tomorrow sometime. I'll most likely post pictures, because I'm just obsessive like that.

If anybody's got any ideas or input, it'd be really helpful!

Edit: Also, if I wanted to use that mead calculator spreadsheet posted in the sticky, any idea how I should add the strawberries in there? Should I puree some and take a gravity reading, or would that be too much?

I would go with the title of Chocolate covered Strawberry mead. Has a great ring to it.

How I did my last strawberry batch was to puree the strawberries with a bit of pectic enzyme and let sit for about an hour and then run through the blender again. Then I put the puree into a mesh bag, a large one that would serve as a good strainer when it came time to remove. Also big so that the mesh bag was basically a liner for my brew bucket. Then when it came time to remove I twisted the bag to get all the fluid I could out of it. But that's not your question.

If I understand you correctly you want to know the gravity of your must for purposes of judging ABV% and other factors. I hate to disapoint you but Strawberries, even puree, is thick enough to throw off the actual gravity readings. Sorry, looks like you will have to estimate it.

Now, I would probably use Cacao Nibs rather than coco powder and put those in the secondary first with the vanilla bean, then rack off of those and on to the strawberries, then rack off of that and on to oak with some sparkloid and potasium sorbate to stabilze, then rack on to your back sweetening honey water after a few weeks. Sounds like a lot of racking doesn't it. Well, I would do so to layer the flavors in and so that the extraction of the flavors doesn't get blured with everything at once. Also, the chocolate first so that you can get that flavor in your base and the fact that it isn't thick and has a harder time of extracting the flavor than the strawberries will. Chocolate doesn't come out very strongly as a flavor in mead. I personally do 5-6 gal batches. A 1 gal batch to me is too little of volume to wait the year and a half for the chocolate to age. Also, I feel that such a low volume is a bit difficult to rack and still have an acceptable amount. The yeast addition is the same for one gal as it is for 5 gal.

Hope this helps.

Matrix

Actually yes, that was pretty helpful.
So First, the questions.

Any idea how much (many) cacao nibs I'd need per gallon?

About how long would you suggest between rackings?

Do you think it'd be safe if I use other measurements I find to calculate my OG? This place seems to measure the OG of puree around 1.03 - 1.047.

I'm using frozen strawberries that have been in my neighbor's freezer since they were picked this year - but she doesn't remember if she added any sugar to them or not. I can't taste any on them, but there still could be some. I know this will make my abv hard to predict, but is this necessarily a bad thing?

And, I hate to make excuses, but I live in a pretty "limited" area. As in, stores here don't like to even price things properly, let alone keep things in stock. The local big liquor store barely has any HB stuff available, or any decent yeast selection. To find the closest HB store that actually keeps stuff in stock, it's over an hour drive away (30 minutes to lexington, and at least 30-45 minutes to the store from the exit) - and that's just a section in another big chain store. (First world problems, right?)

So, not complaining, just giving an idea of how it can be difficult getting the proper stuff out here.

That said, the mesh bag is a great idea, but I doubt I could even find a place that sells them. Same about the cacao nibs, actually - it's just weird how the stores in town just don't carry certain things.

If I can find any, though, I'd like to do that. But if I can't, I'll probably just do one with powder to start, then do a 1 gallon batch with nibs if I can find them next time I go into Lexington.

I hear you on the 5 gallon batch thing - I think even 6 - 12 months is a really long time to wait for just 4 bottles. But that's also why I'm doing a lot of them. I'm just trying a lot of different recipes, and when I find one I love, I'm going to make my first 5 gallon batch with it.

Thanks again, though! I see a lot of threads around here (mostly dead ones) where somebody asks for advice, then just ignores what people tell them. I don't want to be like that so I'll probably do two batches, to test both methods. Hell... I've got the strawberries, so I might as well, right?

Actually yes, that was pretty helpful.
So First, the questions.
QUOTE]

Ok to answer your questions:
Any idea how much (many) cacao nibs I'd need per gallon?
Many of the recipies I have seen usually do 1 pound of roasted nibs for a 5 gal, one recipie that I saw that was called Chocolate Overlord (pun inteded from overload) used 5 pounds for a 5 gal batch. On my two batches that I have in the carboy have 2 pounds in them and I am getting a strong chocolate scent. Not sure how much it will come out. The thing to keep in mind is that something like a Hershy bar is only about 30% Cacao bean. The dark Chocolates usually have a % on them, up to like 70%. An the darker it is the more bitter the chocolate. So mostly it's about finding the balance between bitter and sweet. The other thing to keep in mind that this is with whole ground Cacao Bean, not extracted flavor. Extracted flavor via the alcohol wont be very strong. Looking at some Chocolate Beer recipies I see also that they use Chocolate Malt Grains as well as no more than 1/2 pound per 5 gal batch, so Personally I estimated in the middle and went with the Mead recipies that I saw, most used 1 pound, I doubled it up and am making it extra sweet.

Another consideration is that If you look at any candy bar that is chocolate only you see in the ingredients Vanillin. That is Vanilla, so I think that your desicion to include a vanilla bean was a wise one. Helps balance out the chocolate and bring out the chocolatyness.

I would also recomend back sweetening it with Maltodextrin and or Lactose. Both are not very sweet but will add a creamyness mouth feel to your mead.

About how long would you suggest between rackings?

Well that's a bit of a judgement call. Personally I wanted good infusion of the Cacao so I did a month on that, Many people report that only 2 weeks is neccessary with strawberries, I personally would go 3 weeks. For the Primary fermentation it is to be racked when it slows down to about 1 bubble a minute or when the lees get to be about 1/4 inch or more. Lees is the sediment. As far as Oaking, depends on the type of oak. Oak Cubes I have heard take longer than oak chips and Oak Spirals take longer than Cubes. Personally I would use medium toasted oak chips for a period of about 2-3 weeks or up to a month but no longer, depending on the oakeyness you wish. The last few rackings depends on it's clearing. It can be months between rackings as it settles. Keep in mind that with each racking you are racking above the sediment and you are going to loose some volume each time. That is why I don't mind back sweetening with a mix of about 1/2 honey 1/2 water. The extra volume is needed. But these are not hard numbers. I recomend that you use your judgement on this. It doesn't hurt mead to just sit in the caroby as it's clearing. Mead is the lazy person's Brewing, it is forgiving if you forget about it for a while.

Do you think it'd be safe if I use other measurements I find to calculate my OG?

Sure, I personally wouldn't worry about OG. Unless you are really curious about what ABV% you end up with or are doing step nutrients. The initial ABV% really depends on your yeast tolerance anyway. Most wine yeasts are from 12-22% ABV tolerant the higher being champaign yeasts, the lower being closer to a more common yeast. And you will be thining down the ABV% with flavor anyway.

I'm using frozen strawberries that have been in my neighbor's freezer since they were picked this year - but she doesn't remember if she added any sugar to them or not. I can't taste any on them, but there still could be some. I know this will make my abv hard to predict, but is this necessarily a bad thing?

Not at all, most people don't care what the ABV% is on what they drink. I just remember to warn people new to mead that it is about 2-3 times as potent as Beer and that the body loves honey so it will assimilate quicker. Some of the un-initiated in Mead over indulge and end up with wicked hangovers but reportedly the hangover is shorter lived than other beverages. I personally have never had a hangover on it. The body metabolizes Honey quicker is all.

Frozen Strawberries are a great way to go. Even If I get fresh, I freeze them so that I can get the berries to yeild their juice better. A breaking up of the cel walls. That and some Pectic Enzyme you end up rendering out a good amount of flavors.

That said, the mesh bag is a great idea, but I doubt I could even find a place that sells them. Same about the cacao nibs, actually - it's just weird how the stores in town just don't carry certain things.

I can understand. I recomend doing the ordering online via this thing we call the internet. There are many online stores. Find one closer to you. Compile your list and order. As far as Mesh bag, Nylon is best but I have heard some people sanitizing a clean pillowcase. Or going to their local hardware store and sewing some sanitized plastic screening material together with fishing line. I recomend the pillowcase method over this. Though sanitize it well. I personally have a local restaurant supply store that has a bottle of the blue pills for sanitization, like a bottle for $7 and the bottle has about 100 pills in it, each does a gallon. So filling up a brew bucket with sanitizing solution and soaking all my tools in it isn't a big deal. Then after soaking for a few minutes, take the items out and let air dry. Then you are ready to go.

As far as Nibs, best place I have had is Chocolatealchemy.com. The owner is a home brewer and chocolatier. Be sure to look for the ROASTED nib prices, as he sells them both ways but he does sell as little as a pound. If you are feeling brave he does have the whole chocolate making process on his website, even roasting part, So you can buy raw and roast it yourself. And then winnow it yourself. Personally, I bought the roasted and then put that through a coffee grinder on rough grind prior to putting in. It made more sediment but to me the extra area for flavor extraction was worth it.

I hear you on the many test batches and THEN doing a large batch. I read once that small batches are not neccessarily exactly like the large ones but hey, it's also a honey afordability too. But then again, I have many friends that love my mead and I have 8 vessels in the 5-6.5 range, 3 of which are buckets. I try to have them full all the time and bottle regualarly. So that amounts to about 3-4 batches a year or so. When the aging catches up I am already on the next 1-2 cycles. I plan on doing that as long as finances permit. And keep 1 6-pack form each batch. Then when I am old and grey, I wont have to buy my alchohol. If it goes bad, then I will still have a tasty marinade or jerky solution. Never throw away a bad mead, you can always use it for cooking. One person I know uses his stawberry pulp in smooties. I keep thinking that this would be icky with the yeast lees mixed in. But to each his own.

Happy Brewing.

Matrix

Thanks for the input, very helpful.

I'll most likely make my next one with cacao nibs, and flavor in stages. I can't find my link right now, but i remember reading something about nibs being higher in oils, causing it to take longer in the long run.

Any way... Here it is.

batch4.jpg

Okay, so fermentation's slowed down a bit. So, it's stupid question time!

I read on the liquid sex chocolate mead recipe that to break down the enzymes and oils of the cocoa, you leave it in primary for a year. But I've also heard that leaving your mead on the lees for too long will lead to off flavors. I'm planning on following the recipe, but will I regret it later?

Latest posts

Back