Slowly falling keg-side pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NonServiam

Reaction score
So I just kegged a batch for the first time yesterday, and I'm trying to force carbonate it with the set-and-forget method. I put the keg & tank/regulator in the fridge at about 5:30pm yesterday and set the keg-side pressure to about 12.5 psi, tank and regulator open. I checked on it at midnight, and the tank-side pressure had fallen quite a bit, as expected, but what surprised me is that the keg-side pressure had also fallen to about 10 psi. Now this morning, about 9 hours later, I just checked again, and the keg-side pressure has fallen to 8 psi (the tank-side pressure doesn't look like it's changed).

Why is my keg-side pressure slowly falling? It was my understanding that the low temperature in the fridge would only lower the tank-side pressure, because of the gas/liquid mixture in there, but not the keg-side pressure. Does the low temperature somehow affect the diaphram in the regulator (Midwest supplies' double-dual-gauge), such that I have to open it more to keep the same amount of pressure on the keg? Or do I simply have a leak somewhere? (This being my first time kegging, I scrupulously slathered every seal with soapy water, but didn't find any bubbles; and if I had a leak, I would expect the tank to be empty now, rather than this slow loss of keg-side pressure.)

Thanks for any advice to a newbie.

Could it just be the new beer absorbing the CO2? I have seen the pressure drop like than when a new batch is carbing.

Could it just be the new beer absorbing the CO2? I have seen the pressure drop like than when a new batch is carbing.

I was thinking about that, but since the regulator is open, wouldn't new gas immediately flow in from the tank, maintaining a constant pressure of 12psi as the beer absorbs co2? I thought that was the whole point of the set-and-forget method.

If you've seen this before, that's reassuring. Did you just crank the pressure back up until it read 12psi again?

if i move my system from a warm room to the fridge the output pressure will drop 2-3 psi as it gets colder... I would just crack it back up to 12psi now that the system is cooled, and watch the pressure.

If you've seen this before, that's reassuring. Did you just crank the pressure back up until it read 12psi again?

Yeah, I just give the regulator valve a tap to bump it back up. Sometimes, I think it is temperature swings in the garage (my CO2 bottle is outside the kegerator) more than anything.

if i move my system from a warm room to the fridge the output pressure will drop 2-3 psi as it gets colder... I would just crack it back up to 12psi now that the system is cooled, and watch the pressure.

OK, cool, so it doesn't seem to be unusual -- I'd just never heard of it in my pre-kegging research. I've already bumped the output back up to 12psi. I'm curious about the mechanism behind this, though. Is it just the thermodynamics of the keg-side gas, or does the regulator's diaphram get stiffer or something in the cold?

Unfortunately, I leave tonight for a 10-day vacation, so I won't be able to watch the pressure. But Ceres willing, there will be sweet, sweet draft beer waiting for me when I return (BM's Centennial Blonde!) :)

OK, cool, so it doesn't seem to be unusual -- I'd just never heard of it in my pre-kegging research. I've already bumped the output back up to 12psi. I'm curious about the mechanism behind this, though. Is it just the thermodynamics of the keg-side gas, or does the regulator's diaphram get stiffer or something in the cold?

I am not sure. I know I have experienced pressure droppoff in my paintball gun too after firing a ton of shots in a row (since this chills the tank/regulator)

If your pressure is stable since you bumped it back to 12psi, you should be fine while on vacation. I find the best way for me to set pressure is to disconenct from the kegs so that you get an accurate reading more quickly, set it and give it a minute to equalize (sometimes it can creep 1-2 psi very slowly on minor ajustments) then pop it back on the keg.

I am not sure. I know I have experienced pressure droppoff in my paintball gun too after firing a ton of shots in a row (since this chills the tank/regulator).

That's very interesting.

If your pressure is stable since you bumped it back to 12psi, you should be fine while on vacation. I find the best way for me to set pressure is to disconenct from the kegs so that you get an accurate reading more quickly, set it and give it a minute to equalize (sometimes it can creep 1-2 psi very slowly on minor ajustments) then pop it back on the keg.

Ah, I see. So you're basically just pressurizing the gas line up to the disconnect, and since that is a much smaller volume, it will settle on whatever the cold-temperature equilibrium is much faster. Cool.

Latest posts

Back