Trying to make Pumpkin Spice Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dregus

Reaction score
I want to make a brown ale with some type of flavoring such as Pumpkin Spice.

Anyone have any ideas where to get Pumpkin Spice? How much to use? Anyone have a recipe I can tweak?

When I made my pumpkin spice beers, I used about half a container of actual pumpkin spice. I know that isn't exact, but the aroma and flavor was great! I added the spice during the last 5-10 mins. of the boil and left it in during primary fermentation. I also added one cinnamon stick during the last 15 mins. of the boil, but I'm not really sure if it made much of a difference.

Pumpkin spice is found in the "spice" aisle at your local grocery. Since your in socal, that would be either Whole Foods or Ralph's, but I'd imagine Whole Foods would have something real good.

Keep in mind that each pumpkin spice maker creates their own blend, so the flavor will be different from brand to brand.

Hope this helps!

I brewed this last weekend and ended up putting the following adjuncts into the recipe:

1tsp nutmeg - 5 min left in boil
1tsp allspice - same
1tsp pumpkin spice - same
58 oz pumpkin pie mix - in mash tun

I think I am going to up the spice about for the next batch but I figured for the first go it would be more drinkable if the spices were less apparent than over done.

Any thoughts.

The pumpkin ale I'm enjoying right now has a good mix of spices, imo. I choose to add a generous amount of pumpkin meat to the boil instead of the mash though. I think ti provides a bit more flavor than mashing. The down side to it is the amount of trub created in primary fermentation. Here's the spice/pumpkin bill I use:

7 lbs Pumpkin Meat (Boil 90 Minutes)
.8 oz cinnamon stick
2.75 tsp Allspice
3 tsp Nutmeg

The other note I'll make is that with this spice bill it needs some age on it. I found that everything evened out really well after about 4 weeks in the bottle after a 4 day primary and 7 day secondary.

Hope this helps!

I took a Nut Brown kit from AHS, added two cans of pumpkin to the mash with some molasses and brown sugar, then dumped some rum, about half a nutmeg (actual nutmeg I grated, not the junk in the little shakers), two cinnamon sticks, ginger juice, and a vanilla bean sliced and scraped to the secondary. I'm gonna bottle it tonight, but the sample I took tasted phenomenal!

Pumpkin spice is usually a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and ginger I do believe. I would recommend throwing your pumpkin in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350 to carmelize a bit before adding it to your boil. I even lightly seasoned my pumpkin before putting it in the oven with the above 4 spices. Mine turned out pretty tasty :) Let us know how it turns out!

Back