First batch Just need help with 1 thing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guerillaboy

Reaction score
Hey guys! Just got started on this hobby last week with my first batch. Everything has been going great except last night (around 3-4 days after I put it in the fermentation bucket) The Airlock on the top of the bucket, its went from clear water to brown water (in a matter of a few hours). Is this normal? Its still bubbling and all. Anyway let me know if I should worry about anything.

Thanks!

Sounds like you had a blowoff. The krausen rose up to where it started coming out the airlock. You may want to set up a blowoff tube. If that airlock gets clogged it can have explosively messy results when the pressure finally gets released.

That usually happens to me sooner rather than later and usually when I ferment on a previous yeast cake. But yeah, you need a blow off tube. :p

Where can I find info for a blow off tube? My local homebrew store isn't open until Tuesday. What should I do until then?

Where can I find info for a blow off tube? My local homebrew store isn't open until Tuesday. What should I do until then?

Just keep cleaning the airlock, or leave it off for a day if you can't find any tubing around the house (Home Depot) that will fit the grommet.

It's out gassing so much there is little chance that any bugs will get in there. It should slow down in a day or so and you can quit worrying about it.

hit search at the top and type in "blow off tube". You'll get everything you need.

In a nutshell... hose + bottle of sanitizer + drilled stopper(or airlock center tube or just jam it in the hole if it fits)

If it blows, don't forget to take pictures.

Haha, that's great!

If you do end up cleaning the airlock, make sure your sanitation processes are spot on, just as a caution. A little StarSan in a spray bottle can go a long way when you need to do things like this!

I found out that hard way that you need a blowoff. IMO you should always use a blowoff on your primary, as a just in case. Then you can use air lock on your secondary, if using one. It will save you a lot of worrying and aggrevation.

Ok so it seems everything has calmed down (Thanks for the help). I put the airlock back on (made sure to sanitize it well, did all this about 24 hours ago) and I dont seem to be getting bubbles anymore. Is this normal? Ill be switching into my secondary tomorrow night (will of been 7 days) Want to make sure its ok to do so.

Sounds like you are okay now. Sounds like your main fermentation has settled down.
You should be okay for secondary, but another week in primary wouldn't hurt either.

Latest posts

Back