To have and to hold, or to giveaway (nervous about my potential first competition)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_Persitz

Reaction score
There is a deal around here called Mashfest. It's basically just an event where local brewers showcase their beer. Folks pay $10 to show up and sample it (not to the brewers, to the venue) and give away prizes. You're supposed to bring 2 gallons with you (keg or bottle).

I've never entered a contest--and I have a 3 gallon batch of Hefeweizen carbonating right now.

I kind of want to drink it as it is my first all grain beer, but I kind of want to enter my first contest. I'm also nervous about how it tastes (it is my first all grain afterall!)

Dilemma, what would ya'll do?

Do it! I entered my first AG batch into a Comp just to get some critical feedback.

It ended up taking first place! I bet you'll feel great sharing your beer and hearing the feedback. You're going to make more anyway. Good luck. Sounds like fun.

Is your beer actually getting judged and feedback from BJCP certified judges? Or is it just the venue getting $10 a person for you to give your beer to a bunch of people and the only feedback you will get from them? Are the prizes any good? 2 gallons is a lot just to get some feedback to me, but if you think the event is worth it go for it. I definitely would not do it if the judges don't give you a feedback/scoresheet and the prizes aren't any good.

Back