For those with their own Grain Mills...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2-D2

Reaction score
Do you mix your various grain before running through the mill? or do you crush each separately and then mix? I just bought my first grain mill and I'm wondering what the standard protocol is.

All at the same time. I simply fill a bucket with grain and dump in the mill. Hell, I even dump in flaked corn and barley, etc...

I weigh them all into a bucket sitting on a scale and then dump into the mill. But, it doesn't matter.

Mine still has the tiny hopper that came on it, so I only do a lb at a time, usually separate. They get mixed up when I stir the mash, so mixing pre-crush is sort of a moot point.

If I am doing a dark beer I just dump the grain in. If I am doing a light beer I run some of the light malt through first then the darker adjunct and then more of the light malt. My LHBS suggested this as a way to get the adjunct spread throughout the mash.

The only thing to worry about at all is if you've got a mixed grist of vastly different grain sizes, like say rye malt and two row. In that case, you might want to set a different gap for the rye.

Back