Rum oaked espresso chocolate porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HypnoFrogs

Reaction score
I am wanting to try this sometime soon, but there are a few things that are not given, such as boil time op addition time and how long the oak chips sit in the carboy for? and what exactly you do with the chocolate.

also do you mash the sweet potatoes in 3 gallons of water then use that mash water to put your extract into?

anyone that has brewed this I will love if you could give me the information I need to fill in the rest of this recipe!

Rum Oaked Espresso Chocolate Porter
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/rum-oaked-expresso-chocolate-porter-342293/

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Mutons dry yeast, subs (safale us-05, wyeast American ale yeast)
Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.066
Final Gravity: 1.004
IBU: Unknown
Boiling Time (Minutes): Unkown
Color:
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):

Tasting Notes:

Side Notes:
I used a Yeast Starter 1 Cup Dark DME per 32oz water) with 1 tsp of Yeast Nutrient added.
1oz Medium Toast French Oak Chips soaked for 1 month in 4oz of Capt Morgan Silver Spiced Rum (Or Whatever Spirit you Like)

Extract:
3.3lb Hopped Dark LME
3.3lb Unhopped Dark LME
1lb of Dark DME
1lb Raw Sweet Sue's Raw Honey
4.4oz Dark Chocolate 85% Coco
7lbs Sweet Potatos (Peeled Weight) : Peeled, then Baked @ 300F for 2 hours, then Mashed (like Mashed Potatos) and Frozen for at least 24 hours, then Thawed to room temp before Mashing in 3 gals of water at 152F for 1 hour. Orange Sweet Potatos work better than the White Potatos, More Flavor.
1oz Medium Toast French Oak Chips

Hops:

1oz Nugget
1oz Styrian Golding

I have not brewed this...but it sounds pretty awesome. I did brew a beer using the baker's chocolate bars though. I don't suggest using them because of all the fat, which created an oil slick in my boil kettle and fermenter. I plan on using a powdered chocolate for the next time that I brew my chocolate stout.

I can make some assumptions on the rest of the recipe, but will wait to do so incase someone that has already brewed this beer has some insights.

I have not brewed this...but it sounds pretty awesome. I did brew a beer using the baker's chocolate bars though. I don't suggest using them because of all the fat, which created an oil slick in my boil kettle and fermenter. I plan on using a powdered chocolate for the next time that I brew my chocolate stout.

I can make some assumptions on the rest of the recipe, but will wait to do so incase someone that has already brewed this beer has some insights.

I searches a bit more and found this!

In the video he explains everything as well!

Rum Oaked Espresso Chocolate Porter Recipe (5 gallon Batch)

7 lb Sweet Potatos (Peeled, Baked 2 hrs @ 300F, then frozen, Mash at 152F 1 hour in 2 gallons of Spring Water) Takes about 2-3 days to Prepare them. 24 hours to bake then freeze, then about 24 to 48 hours to thaw them out for mashing.

30 min Boil

Malt Bill:
1 lb Dark DME
3.3 lb Hopped Dark LME
3.3 lb Unhopped Dark LME
1 lb Pure Raw Honey (Add at Flameout)

Hops:

1 oz Nugget 30 min
.5 oz Styrian Golding 15 min
.5 oz Styrian Golding 2 min

Cool Wort and top off Fermentor to the 6 gallon Mark)

Leave in Primary 1 month then Rack to Secondary.

Secondary Additions:

1 8oz Can Lavazza In-Blue Espresso (Cold Coffee Infused)
1 oz Med Toast French Oak Chips soaked in 4 oz Capt Morgan Silver Spiced Rum (min of 1 month)
4 oz Capt Morgan Silver Spiced Rum
1/2 to 1 gallon of Spring water to offset loss of volume from Sweet potato pulp.(You'll wind up with about 4.5 gallons after you rack to secondary off the Sweet potato pulp, top off to 5 gallon mark.

Leave on Chips in Secondary for at least 1 month. I did 2 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back