Used Sanke Prices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also depends on whether the top's cut out and/or there's a coupler welded in.

Find bobby M's video about removing the stem and all that to convert it. :)

Good luck.... Its a REALLY touchy subject on this and many other threads. Probably the only way you can be SURE its a legal keg would be to buy it from Sabco for an arm and a leg. Honestly, if you yourself don't do the deposit w/ no return, you can probably limit your guilt on the purchase. You can't fix what has already occurred. The way I did it was call around to some local breweries who dist. their own barrels and just ask if I could buy a couple of their kegs that didn't hold pressure any more. I drove to the brewery, had a few pints with the manager, he gave me a personal tour of the whole brewery...and I mean everywhere, and then gave me two kegs at the end of the whole thing and said to donate the 35 bucks a piece to charity.

Thats my suggestion. Most smaller breweries are more than happy to dump their scrap to a homebrewer.

It's up to you.

Ask for a receipt or proof of owner ship.

If you don't mind buying stolen property then no need.
Best just do it and don't discuss on here.

I do mind buying stolen property. Point taken. Thanks for the advice.

Its02003: "The way I did it was call around to some local breweries who dist. their own barrels and just ask if I could buy a couple of their kegs that didn't hold pressure any more."

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't have a local brewery near me that I'm aware of. Only brewery would be AB in Jacksonville. Has anybody had any luck with the big distributors for out-of-service kegs, or would they have a set method for repair/disposal?

When it comes down to it many of the kegs for sale are likely to me kegs that have not been returned on deposit (i.e stolen)
In reality you will never know. Lots of people don't bother and just buy them.
There is an article in the wiki covering this.

The problem with asking for guidance on here is that many people don't care but some do.

its02003- Which brewery did this for you (if you don't mind me asking). I have called a bunch of places and none of them will sell me their empties. I live in Norwich area. Thank you!

Back