Clone wanted - Mic amber bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for Michelob Amber Bock recipe. Extract, all grain, PM. whatever.

I wouldnt mind seeing several recipes. Also if youve brewed it let me know what you thought of it.

You probably won't find many folks in the homebrewing/beer geek community who think too highly of MAB let alone would brew a clone of it. It's really looked at by most as a Macrobrewer's attempt to re-coup the steady sales decline of BMC lost to the craft beer industry by foisting a pseudo version of it on mostly the gullible masses.

Now having said that, and not picking on you fro enjoying it, have you tried other, more representative versions of that style? If you have and they taste similar enough to MAB then you may have an easier time finding clones of those, or just that style in particular.

Then all you would have to do is to figure out what makes the Mic version different that you like about it- is it sweeter than the other version? Then adding lactose to the other grainbill may be what it takes. Is it dryer? Maybe they use a rice or corn adjunct in it. Is it hoppier or less hoppier than the others?

SO then when you figure that out you can kinda figure out what you need to do.

When I am creating a recipe for a new style, I do something similar, look at several recipes online and see what grain was pretty standard to all of them, same with hops, and yeast. And then go from there.

:mug:

With all due respect to Revvy, Amber Bock is not a bad beer. I find it to be a very tasty and drinkable beer... In fact... writing this reminded me that i have some in the fridge, so I just asked her to bring me one.

I digress... It may not be the best example of a bock, but it is tasty.

I would look for a schwartzbier recipe. i think that will get you close.

Thanks folks. ANd revy you've been a big help on this site to lots of people and i kind of agree with you. If i wanted MAB i would just buy it, i probably can't brew a beer like that for as cheap as i can buy it. However. i like to mess around with recipes and i want a tweak to this type of beer. For a commercial beer i think it has a different and clean taste. Weather they are trying to be more craft like or not. i dont care,l i like it, and i want to brew something similar but make tweaks to it to find a craft beer that i like and can replicat at home. I am not going to not try a beer just cause it is "commercial" that would be silly. I support my local (online) homebrew store and good beer manufacturers.

Pretty soon there is going to be a backlash with Sam Adams as they take more of the market and people will consider than too commercial. I love some Bell's beer. Sam Adams, and countless micro beers served in the midwest.

With all due respect to Revvy, Amber Bock is not a bad beer. I find it to be a very tasty and drinkable beer... In fact... writing this reminded me that i have some in the fridge, so I just asked her to bring me one.

I digress... It may not be the best example of a bock, but it is tasty.

I would look for a schwartzbier recipe. i think that will get you close.

I'm not saying whether it's bad or good, that's always a personal preference. I've only had it once on tap and found it too sweet. But again, that's all subjective.

I was only talking about how it is viewed by many in this community, which can be easily gauged by looking at the numerous threads about it on here, and how that view might make it difficult to find a true clone.

And I gave him some suggestions to work around that.

You probably won't find many folks in the homebrewing/beer geek community who think too highly of MAB let alone would brew a clone of it. It's really looked at by most as a Macrobrewer's attempt to re-coup the steady sales decline of BMC lost to the craft beer industry by foisting a pseudo version of it on mostly the gullible masses.

Now having said that, and not picking on you fro enjoying it, have you tried other, more representative versions of that style? If you have and they taste similar enough to MAB then you may have an easier time finding clones of those, or just that style in particular.

Then all you would have to do is to figure out what makes the Mic version different that you like about it- is it sweeter than the other version? Then adding lactose to the other grainbill may be what it takes. Is it dryer? Maybe they use a rice or corn adjunct in it. Is it hoppier or less hoppier than the others?

SO then when you figure that out you can kinda figure out what you need to do.

When I am creating a recipe for a new style, I do something similar, look at several recipes online and see what grain was pretty standard to all of them, same with hops, and yeast. And then go from there.

:mug:
Along with Zombie Dust, Michelob Amber Bock is one of my favorite beers. I think it is an underrated beer because of the Michelob name.

Back