Possible Overpitching of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxSpyderBrew

Reaction score
I started a American IPA- Extract kit (5 gal batch) about 4 days ago..... It went great no problems.... 1.64 S.G.

What was strange was after 4 hours I had Kausen and major co2 production.... it went like that for 2 days ......

I came home yestrday and the Kausen was gone and almost no co2 .....
when i came home today .... same thing ... Nada... no bubbles....&#*$

When i bought the kit From my LHS the guy gave me 2 packets of 11.5g Safale US-05 and told me to dubble pitch..... i didnt think much of it

well just lookin at some threads and some said that is was bad to over pitch to much yeast and can cause some unwanted flavors and overstressed yeast..

What do yall think...

Don't worry about it - some folks pitch on an entire cake of yeast from a previous batch and you're nowhere near that.

It's nothing unusual, you just had really vigorous fermentation. It's more likely the higher your original gravity is. That's why it pays to have a blow-off tube ready to go at all times. Or, some people just rig the blow-off tube from the start on all their fermenters to be on the safe side.

Two packets of yeast won't constitute over pitching. Not even close.
Fermentis claims 6 billion cells per gram of dry yeast.
11 * 6=66 billion cells.
One smack pack is 100 billion and would be insufficient for this beer
So two packets is fine.

Back