Anchor Brewery Sold To Skyy Vodka's Founder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForRealBeer

Reaction score
Looks like Fritz Maytag is going to retire and pass the torch of Anchor Brewery on.

Novato Group Acquires Anchor Brewery

Reliable sources in the microbrewing industry reported Monday that Novato-based Griffin Group has acquired San Francisco's Anchor Brewing Co., considered the pioneer in America's craft brewing movement in the post-Prohibition era.

BeerAdvocate and Draft magazines received a press release announcing the acquisition, and the news was picked up quickly by business magazines and many online sites.

According to BeerAdvocate, the Griffin Group is led by beverage industry veterans Keith Greggor and Tony Foglio, who have been working with Anchor Brewing Co.'s owner, Fritz Maytag, to maintain the iconic brewery and distillery in San Francisco.

Greggor, a Novato resident, has been "behind closed doors all day," said his wife, Christine. Neither Keith Greggor nor Foglio, who developed the Skyy Vodka brand together, could be reached for comment.

I can remember my first Anchor Steam, back in the 1970's. I was 18, just come back from Europe, and was wishing I could have a fresh version of the brews I had enjoyed over there. Sure, there were imports, but they weren't as fresh and good as the same beers were over on the continent, and when I found Anchor, I knew that there was hope for American brewing.

We've come a long way since then, but believe me when I say that back in the day, Anchor was a beacon in the darkness.

Latest posts

Back