Anyone have any feedback on these Meads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, how goes? I've made mead twice before, both times the mead was just a standard mead with honey as the only real fementable ingredient. I used the recipe called "Chief Niwort's Mead" the recipe is out of the bookThe New Joy of Homebrewing I'll post it on here once I find my recipe again.
Long story short, is both meads were very good, and produced a fine dry mead, but I'm getting the mead bug again, and after making two batches of a standard honey mead I'd really like to try something different. I've been looking at the recipes on here, Malkore's Not So Ancient Orange Mead looks nice, as does Joe's Grape Mead, anyone here ever tried either of those? I'd love to put on a gallon batch of a different kind of mead, maybe something sweet, and see how I like it. Can anyone here give me any feedback on these two recipes, or some other recipe that you folks have made and liked?
All the best,

~A.T.G.

Malkore's is really good and simple.

Has a sharp orange flavor after a month of fermentation, I like the sharpness personally. Orange sharpness mellows after only a few months and it's very good.

Alfred: Just an idea here, but how about a sack mead (sweet & strong), or a medium show mead made from a fine & highly aromatic varietal honey? Orange blossom is probably the best varietal honey produced in the US when it comes to mead making (individual tastes may vary) but there is also a lot to be said for tupelo and mesquite honeys. Maybe a well balanced sweet/semi-sweet melomel made with orange blossom honey, orange zest & chopped apricots, racked onto more orange zest & apricots in secondary? Not enough of either to overpower the orange blossom honey though, say no more than 10lbs apricots & no more zest (NO white parts) from 2 oranges, 1 in primary & 1 in secondary. Like I said, it's just an idea. Regards, GF. :)

Thanks Brandon O, I've always wanted to try Malkores, glad to know that it's good.

Gratus: No, I've never tried a sack mead, heard the name before though. The sweet and strong part sounds pretty good. How exactly does one make a sack mead?

Finally, has anyone ever tried making a mead with an Ale Yeast or something, I'd love to make a sweet mead at around ten percent, so if I got an ale or a lager yeast and used my normal recipe, the yeast would poop out when it exceeded it's alcohol tolerance and, hopefully, I'd be left with a sweet mead around 8 - 10 percent..any ideas?
I'd like to try to get this on the go by the end of this week or so, really I'm just looking for a sweet mead as my other meads fermented out dry, which is nice, but I'd like to try something different.

Alfred: Sack mead is made the same as other meads, just with more honey. Use a really nice varietal honey like orange blossom, blackberry (or any of the berry honeys), tupelo, or mesquite are all great choices for sack mead. Wildflower honey is a crapshoot when it comes to sweet & strong with great flavour. The basic trick is to use a yeast with a known alcohol tolerance & calculate your honey amount so that the yeast hits it's tolerance level before consuming all the sugar. One way to acheive this is to "feed" the yeast, in other words, don't add all the honey at once, add it in increments. This way you'll be able to keep an eye on it's progress with your hydrometer & calculate your additions as you go; avoiding a mead that is too sweet. You may want to step your nutrients too. Go as sweet as you like. Just know that the higher the ABV, the longer it will need to age. Hope you find this info useful. Regards, GF.

Back