Hops Stress!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big supper

Reaction score
Hi y'all

For some reason I am really stressing about which hops I will brew with this weekend. I am making an APA. Looking for about 40ish IBU's. Do I go the Pearle+Casacade route? Centenial+Cascade? Chinook is also available. If I am shooting for around the same IBU rate, will there be a huge flavour difference depending on the combination? I will be dry hopping as well(In primary).

My other ingredients will be: LME, 2-row, a bit of Crystal and a bit of Biscuit.

I am probably going to a double batch and pitch one with Wyeast American Ale and the other with Nottinghams

Thanks for any input. I don't no why I am having problems deciding. I guess cause this is only our 4th batch and maybe we aren't as familiar with all the strains.

The bittering hops won't matter as much as the cascade at the end. Just get your IBU's in the right range, then use a nice flavor/aroma hop towards the end. Cascade is a great choice for an APA.

Chinook can be pretty harsh, keep that in mind. Cascade is a classic flavor for an APA, you can't go wrong with that - or Cascade with Centenial is a real nice combo. I haven't had opportunity to use Pearle, so I can't speak to that.

If you do use Chinook, I'd use it for bittering - it can be quite aggressive. All depends on what you're looking for, but of these, you can't go wrong with Cascade/Centenial.

Perle in the kettle
Centenntial for middle addition, and/ or late addition
Cascade for middle and/or late additions, knockout
Chinook for late additions & knockout

Chinook is a FINE finishing hop!

Pearle and Chinook are the bittering hops in Sierra Nevada if that is something you like. I might do one with the Cascades and the other with the Centinial for the finishing hops and compare the brews.

Blender said:
Pearle and Chinook are the bittering hops in Sierra Nevada if that is something you like. I might do one with the Cascades and the other with the Centinial for the finishing hops and compare the brews.

Ya......I thought of doing two different ones, but the goal was to compare if there would be a difference in taste using the 2 different yeasts.

Back