priming a keg (and draining pressure)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefleck

Reaction score
I've read that I should, after priming a keg with sugar, release all the pressue from the keg prior to hooking up to the CO2. Any idea why? Is it to drop the pressue asuming the keg naturally carbonated to a heigher pressure then serving dictates?

I think it is so you don't have any beer accidently go up your gas hose and into the regulator. its not fun. Or so I hear. I wouldn't be stupid enough to do that. Nope.

So when priming with sugar in the keg you use 1/2 the "normal" amount of sugar and you hit it with CO2 to seal the keg then let it sit for 3+ weeks?

I think it is so you don't have any beer accidently go up your gas hose and into the regulator. its not fun. Or so I hear. I wouldn't be stupid enough to do that. Nope.

I was guessing that could be possible too... but since the gas in line is at the top wouldn't the keg have to be sideways to get beer up there?

Either way, a quick way to trash your regulator.

now time to go tap my oatmeal stout!
thanks guys! :mug:

I was guessing that could be possible too... but since the gas in line is at the top wouldn't the keg have to be sideways to get beer up there?

Either way, a quick way to trash your regulator.

now time to go tap my oatmeal stout!
thanks guys! :mug:

Pressure in keg > pressure coming out of regulator and tank = backwards moving beer

The priming mixture should raise the pressure well above serving PSI. You have to drain the pressure before serving anyway. Might as well drain the pressure then connect the CO2 line just to be safe.

My regulator actually has a bleed off valve that automatically bleeds out extra pressure until it equals what you set it at! Very handy for fine tuning pressure.

well, damn keg has a pressure leak. Went to release the pressure and there was none. :(

opened the lid, adjusted a bit, pressureized with CO2 but couldn't pinpoint the leak. Gave it a good shake, hopefully i'll get some carbonation. Otherwise we'll call it my oatmeal cask stout.

still tastes good though a bit flat. and not chilled yet

time will tell, might want to replace that seal.

The lid of the keg just might not have seated right to give it a good seal.

I usually hit my kegs with a bit of gas after filling them to make sure the lid seals. You might also use keg lube.

The lid of the keg just might not have seated right to give it a good seal.

I usually hit my kegs with a bit of gas after filling them to make sure the lid seals. You might also use keg lube.

i'm hoping it wasn't seated... testing by gassing it and shutting off the gas.
i'll check if it's still presureized tomorow. The lube is a good idea!

The problem with cornie kegs is that they are designed to work with pressures upto 130PSI. If you are attempting to secondary in the keg then you start with 0PSI and the pressure builds up so slowly that there's nothing to compress the sealing ring so it just seeps out and you get a flat beer.

I always force carb my brews rather than naturally carb them but if I were to naturally carb I would still hit the keg with about 25PSI C02 to seal the lid. I serve at 12PSI but I always hit the keg with 30PSI to seal it first then drop to 12PSI. It needs that initial 'hit' to seal it and provided you don't drop much below 10PSI it should remain sealed.

I always hit my kegs with CO2 to seat the lid properly (remember, these are ment to hold 100+ PSI). You could always force carb it :)

Back